Free spice simulator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sharanbr123, Oct 25, 2014.

1. sharanbr123

Thread Starter Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Hello All,

Can someone tell me some of the free spice simulators available.
    Also, I am assuming that one can simulate transistors also using spice simulators.
    Based on my sampling of doucment for one of the spice simulators, I would not find support for adding transistor in the schematic view. Comments please ...

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    LTSpice. I have posted hundreds of circuit simulations on these forums...

3. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Got it. Here

Edited. The link now works.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    (Your link is improper.)

It can be a challenge for a beginner to add a Spice component model to LTspice. The included components are limited but you can find more all over the internet, for instance from T.I. or IRF or the other manufacturers. When you want to add one, come on back and folks here can help.

5. sharanbr123

Thread Starter Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Thanks, Everyone ... I had a look at LTspice on Linear Technologies site. It does not support Linux which is what I prefer.
    Also, the description of this simulator mentions that it is primarily for simulation of switching regulators.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I did read that you can run LTspice on Linux under Wine but I don't know how well that works.

LTspice was specifically optimized to run faster simulations of switching regulators but otherwise it performs standard Spice AC, DC, and Transient simulations.

Here's a listing of some other Spice simulators.

7. Motardo

Sep 21, 2011
    On Linux, I use the gEDA toolchain.