Free Parts ???

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have seen over the years that some company's are giving free sample of electronic parts .. But most times they request what company you work or other information ... Who does this and is this moral right lying to them in order to get free parts ??

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just put "Hobbyist" under company, if they are for non-business use. I let their marketing team decide if they want to ship.

TI and Microchip stopped sending to Hobbists a few years ago. Some companies still send them.

Last edited:

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Don't lie - put your company name down. Problem solved.

Also a note - I get many free samples for hobby use... but I also bring them to work on occasion if I catch wind that someone needs the part to try out. I also know many of the sales reps in my district. That helps. Several of them (LT, Analog, TI, Intersil, IR, etc) will give me any number of samples that I need/want because I have a relationship with them and order parts from them for work.

It's good to know your sales reps.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have seen over the years that some company's are giving free sample of electronic parts .. But most times they request what company you work or other information ... Who does this and is this moral right lying to them in order to get free parts ??
Hrmmm... is it morally right to lie here... are you seriously asking that?

One Sunday night I was on the Si Labs site looking up some parts. I registered to get data sheets, but discovered their parts were not in distribution. Too bad but I just wanted to play with one for my own use. Few days later ay work I get a call from the local rep asking my interest. I make it quite plain it was for personal use, he says he will see what he has for samples. He actually drops by a few weeks later with a complete AM/FM/SW radio he hands me, and apologizes for not having any chip samples.

I keep that radio handy as it is my emergency radio.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I took advantage of a company rep from another country.

Do to the language barrier, he had the idea it would lead to a large order.

Once things were in motion it was hard to stop.
I was upfront that I was just looking for a supplier so I could purchase parts as needed. (yet not so upfront that I wouldn't like samples :()

Received a couple carbide tipped hole saws. Very hard to find and expensive at the time.

Kept getting calls for the large order, and it still bothers me.:(
When I didn't come thru, the poor guy, probably got sent to a re-education farm!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I took advantage of a company rep from another country.

Do to the language barrier, he had the idea it would lead to a large order.

Once things were in motion it was hard to stop.
I was upfront that I was just looking for a supplier so I could purchase parts as needed. (yet not so upfront that I wouldn't like samples :()

Received a couple carbide tipped hole saws. Very hard to find and expensive at the time.

Kept getting calls for the large order, and it still bothers me.:(
When I didn't come thru, the poor guy, probably got sent to a re-education farm!
My company gives away sample all the time. We have three policies, (1) never send anything to a residential address (Google maps has made this very easy). (2) never say "no" to a professor - just ask them to acknowledge our company in any publications. (3) Everything else is a judgement call - don't waste your time thinking you should have or shouldn't have sent a sample (just learn from mistakes moving forward).

Sometimes sales people easily send samples because their managers incentivize them to get x number of samples into the field each month. Sometimes it is difficult to get a sample because the sales people are busy or production is lagging behind.

Business is run by people, even if you are filling in a web-based form, the result is usually reviewed by a person. They learn and move on. I just don't think it is right to lie for a $3.00 sample part.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
(1) never send anything to a residential address (Google maps has made this very easy).
I find this policy interesting... if you were to sample me something at work it would take a minimum of two weeks to get me the samples (even if you shipped over-night). The corporate world can be pretty crappy when it comes to shipping and receiving... sometimes I think it is just my company though.

Whenever a rep request to give me samples of something I'm interested in I usually ask that they ship it to my house or bring it to my office in person so I don't have to deal with the loading dock.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I just don't think it is right to lie for a $3.00 sample part.
I agree completely, and have never done so...not for a $3 part or a $3k part.

Good companies often "seed" the field with samples since they never know when a hobbyest will become a "real" customer, ala those two guys in the garage building fruity computers. Granted, that is a rare occurrence, but there are many smaller scale success stories. Even a mention on an electronics forum could result in significant business.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I find this policy interesting... if you were to sample me something at work it would take a minimum of two weeks to get me the samples (even if you shipped over-night). The corporate world can be pretty crappy when it comes to shipping and receiving... sometimes I think it is just my company though.

Whenever a rep request to give me samples of something I'm interested in I usually ask that they ship it to my house or bring it to my office in person so I don't have to deal with the loading dock.
I don't exactly deal in electronics. Hazardous materials can be involved so we have to be careful.