Free ISO image readers?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by spinnaker, Nov 22, 2012.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Can anyone recommend a good free iso cd image reader?
  2. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  4. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    This one works well for me: It's easy to use and you can copy, create, and make modified images.
  5. tinamishra

Dec 1, 2012
    An ISO image is an archive file (also known as a disk image) of an optical disc, composed of the data contents of every written sector of an optical disc, including the optical disc file system. ISO images can be created from optical discs or from a collection of files by image creation software; images can be used to write optical discs. Software distributed on bootable discs is often available for download in ISO image format, and used to write a CD or DVD. ISO image files often have a file extension of .iso. The name ISO is taken from the ISO 9660 file system used with CD-ROM media, but what is known as an ISO image might also contain a UDF (ISO/IEC 13346) file system or a DVD or Blu-ray Disc (BD) image.
  6. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Be careful. Some softwares can not extract ISO archives with long file names correctly. The extracted file tree will be corrupted, and for instance can not be used for installation.
  7. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
  8. btimage

May 31, 2013
    a friend introduces rasteredge's image reader c# to me, seems pretty awesome. but i am not sure it processes ISO image or not. take a look i guess.
  9. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    for a while I always used ISO buster, available in free version, but has limits. somebody told me about daemon tools lite and I switched to that. also iso buster you had to extract it before you could run an install. daemon tools you just double click the file and then you can open it in an emulated cd drive in my computer. when done eject the media from the drive then you can more iso, etc. else it will error out. seems faster than iso buster too because don't need to extract stuff that may not be needed. I had one occasion back before I changed that daemon tools may not be able to help. I have a 64 bit system, and due to other programs I had to install 32 bit version of combo ISO. it automatically defaulted to 64 bit so the extracted copy I had to go in and delete the 64 bit program then it worked. may be able to do in daemon tools, but haven't had to do that again yet.
  10. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I've used both PowerISO and MagicDisk quite a bit. Both are nice, but I'd probably prefer PowerISO for no particular reason :).
  11. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012