Free Energy from snow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thatoneguy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. thatoneguy

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    With the weight of that crap, there's gotta be a way to extract something from it, right?

Granted, any process would be more intermittent than wind power, but something along the lines of a self-powered, self-cleaning driveway would be fine by me.

Yes, I just got done shoveling about 2 tons of it, in 15-25 pound increments, thus giving time for thought on this topic. :(

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Are you trying to get a free energy thread from water coming thur your back door,
    since your front door Is all snowed In .Will that free energy come thur your roof from all the weight and move your car,which movement will be free energy. So will that prove that guys theory.Unity

Click here to make Loosewires post to look good or better.

3. cooltwins

Dec 26, 2009
    hello there,

i am just new here.... and i think this place is just awesome...:)

and that one guy...

i think it is possible to extract "something" from it....
    i mean the weight the snow gives is a mechanical pressure right?
    so a piezo-electric crystal can be used to get the electricity from that pressure...

i am new to electronics itself and this is just a thought:)
    correct me if i am wrong. :)

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    We already get energy from rain, which feeds the rivers that feed the dams and their hydroelectric plants. Snow is part of this cycle too. Funny thing, it is still a form of solar in the long run.

Welcome aboard Cooltwins (like the picture in your profile). Hope you enjoy it here.

5. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Weight, by itself, is not a direct source of energy that can be easily harnessed. You would need to capture the snow before it hits the ground and then use the weight to drive a mechanism as it completes its journey to ground level.

It might be easier to do this with rain, but with either, you could collect large quantities with a huge funnel and direct the flow into a "water-wheel" to drive an electrical generator.

It doesn't seem very practical, but the principle could be demonstrated very easily on a small scale.

Thermoelectric Coolers could be used to generate electricity between the cold snow and the warmer air, on days when the air temperature is greater than 0 deg. C. Again, this is not very practical, but the principle could be demonstrated easily.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The real problem with harvesting energy is density, for an energy source to be practical there has to be a lot of it in one place.

Minor change of subject, in some states (where water is scarce) the run off from your roof (be it snow or rain) is considered property of the state, and is illegal to be diverted. Politicians can be strange sometimes.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    A little change,a weatherman was showing off the largest

hail stone from a freak hail storm. He keeps it in his freezer,

it looks a little rounded from being in the freezer.Am I right that the

stone will become larger in the freezer over time.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Nope, the freezer is a dry environment, so the ice will vaporize (sublime) over time. Our older ice cubes in the bin always get smaller.

9. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Well I suppose if you collected enough of the stuff into a large enough snowball, gravitional collapse would be enough to fire it up into a sun.

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Why does plastic cups split down the sides when they are
    In the freezer for awhile.The Ice has to expand.

11. SIcam

Aug 9, 2008
    Hey thatoneguy, you got a great idea but you missed the real free energy part.

The free energy comes from you lifting the 15-25 lb increments to shovel it all. You are the free energy source.

Now think about it on a grand scale. Patent an exercise machine that has a generator on it that converts FAT to electrical energy. Then make it so it can be plugged into the wall and force feed the energy into the electrical grid. Take that and multiply it by the 100 million overweight people and the US could be powered and get fit at the same time.

12. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Some Exercise Bikes at sports clubs are actually self powered;)

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Heres an interesting fact about energy. If you can produce X amount of electricity your electric company is obligated to buy it. How much X is depends on your location.

14. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Does that mean that the power companies own all excess energy,
    and part of the bigger plan. One of the larger waste companies that
    contracts to cities are about to expire,so they are offering a rate
    decrease to get new long term contracts.The only problem is that
    they will have clause that will allow up to 40 percent increase without
    going before the cities. So that will open up the cap and trade laws to
    there advanage later on.

15. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    If I look out my window, I can see a whole lot of snow up on those mountains, that fuel a couple of local hydro generators. Some heat trace laid into the driveway pad makes the loop complete. Damn the shovel.

16. scythe

Mar 23, 2009
    lol ha ha ha, now all I need is 30-100lbs of snow...

lol :D

think it's patentable? :p

17. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    You would expect the ice to expand UP, out of the cup. The reason it splits is because the surface of the liquid freezes first causing a plug. As the rest of the liquid freezes and expands (h20 at 20%) it can no longer go out of the pluged cups top, hence the split sides.

18. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    These are heavy duty red plastic cups,and they split down both sides.
    So the ice has to expand in the middle of the cup sides.

19. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The OP forget to mention that an electric motor pull the system back. The energy comes from a gasoline/HHO powered big block V8 engine. The engine is hooked up to an electric generator producing current for the electrolytic process, and the latter electric motor. The hydrogen is also used to power the V8 engine. I am somewhat puzzled that people in this forum did not grasp the obvious logic in this

20. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    A little off topic,Bill Gates wanted to take ships filled
    with snow into the gulf of mexico to cool the warm water
    of a hurricane.They may have tried this ,we want know
    until some one leaks information.He was serious about this,
    he had distractors.There are alot ships in what they call mothball
    fleets that go nowhere,if any one has read any trade magizines
    about this please add to this post. The metal ships could
    expose a lot coldness to the center of a storm.Ships can
    take hurricane winds and if slowed the storm so much the better.
    Any comments or math on this,like i said he was very serious
    about this project.