FPV drone racers in the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area

Nick S.

Joined Feb 25, 2015
Hi everyone, a month or two ago I posted a search for drone racers in DC, Maryland, or Virginia who wanted to begin a drone racing club or knew about one I could join. Here is my original post:
"Recently, the new Make: magazine arrived and had an article on FPV drone racing. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a group of people who make drones and mount cameras (hence FPV or "first person view") to watch a screen live and race. Not all drones have cameras, but most racers do. I was recently told to get into a ham radio club to learn about electronics, but I didn't think many of those would be around anymore. When I saw the article, it occurred to me that racing drones was sort of a more current version of those. Anyway, I'm not really at the level of drone building/racing yet in terms of electronics skill, but I'm certainly interested in doing it in the near future. If anyone knows about a drone- racing group or would like to start one, I'm looking for anyone in DC, Virginia, or Maryland.
Nick"
I didn't get many satisfying replies to this post so I've decided to post it in the radio and communications section if there is anybody here interested.

jfuchs

Joined Aug 12, 2015
Hi everyone, a month or two ago I posted a search for drone racers in DC, Maryland, or Virginia who wanted to begin a drone racing club or knew about one I could join. Here is my original post:
"Recently, the new Make: magazine arrived and had an article on FPV drone racing. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a group of people who make drones and mount cameras (hence FPV or "first person view") to watch a screen live and race. Not all drones have cameras, but most racers do. I was recently told to get into a ham radio club to learn about electronics, but I didn't think many of those would be around anymore. When I saw the article, it occurred to me that racing drones was sort of a more current version of those. Anyway, I'm not really at the level of drone building/racing yet in terms of electronics skill, but I'm certainly interested in doing it in the near future. If anyone knows about a drone- racing group or would like to start one, I'm looking for anyone in DC, Virginia, or Maryland.
Nick"
I didn't get many satisfying replies to this post so I've decided to post it in the radio and communications section if there is anybody here interested.
Nick,
Glad to read your post and hear of your interest. I read the same issue and got interested. I bought a small store bought quad as a toy for Christmas last year, and my friend bought me a bigger toy for my birthday in March. Neither are FPV, and they are just toys. Recently got interested in quad racing and will be purchasing my first components to build a 250 class before the fall. I am near Baltimore Washington airport.
Jeff