FPC connectors...

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Hi all.. So in looking at LCD displays, I'm thinking my project might be easier to mount in an enclosure if I use a COG (Chip-on-glass) LCD display with an FPC ribbon cable so the PCB can be mounted to the bottom of the box and the display attached via the cable to the top half of the enclosure... To that end, I'm trying to find a mating connector that can be PCB mounted and just plug in the ribbon cable..

The cable in the LCD specs is listed as "27 pins up contact FPC 0.5mm pitch, conductor width 0.3mm".. In checking on Mouser, I see a bunch of 27 contact, .5mm connectors -- some right angle, horizontal mount or vertical.. I'm thinking this item might be what I'm looking for.. Is this a good pair-up?

P.S. The display I'm looking at is a Newhaven shown here...

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Ok.. After more research I decided against the COG display since the connectors cost more and I can get, for a little more, an LCD display that takes a single row IDC connector.. As it turns out the display in question (another Newhaven) takes a 18 pin, 2.54mm pitch single row connector.. Sounds all good and dandy and while the header is easy-peasy to find I wasn't so sure about the female that would plug into it. After a lot of searching on mouser I started pestering individual companies like FCI and TE. FCI apparently does not make any single-row IDC connectors -- so they're out. However, TE does.. I finally settled on this connector which I'm told can be used with ribbon cable. However, when asked about tooling to install said connector, the impatient support person on the TE site suggested AMP tool "91292-2" and disconnected the chat session shortly thereafter. I found a picture of this tool (which can be seen here near the bottom of the page) but am not sure if I really need it.. From looking at the 3D PDF of this connector from their site, it seems like I might be able to get away with using some run of the mill hand-tools (or perhaps a bench vise) for one-off cable construction..

Anyone have any experience with these types of connectors?