FPC Connector Identification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dbmiller5, Nov 28, 2012.

1. dbmiller5

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Hi guys, I finally registered because I need to utilize your collective expertise. I have been lurking for a while, I love this forum. I am an engineering student and I am very into projects and electronics.

My newest project is a display from a smartphone. As usual, most of my projects start with junk that was given to me. I received an HTC Rhyme with a bad USB port. Instead of fixing the port and selling it, I decided to scavenge the display for an Ethernet project.

I am trying to find the correct FPC connector for the display. I was wondering if you could help me identify it from a picture. I think the pitch is 0.3mm, but not completely sure. Going to drive the display with a a popular Cortex-M3 board.

Its not great, but this is the very best picture I could take. The connector is pretty tiny.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time!

2. dbmiller5

Nov 28, 2012
    My best research produced THIS...

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You should post a picture of the connector next to a ruler so people can get a better idea of size....It would be easier to help:)

4. dbmiller5

Nov 28, 2012
    Not counting the tabs, its 7mm. I was not able to get a good shot of the ruler and the connector.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You should be able to find something in here...

6. dbmiller5

Nov 28, 2012
    Did you identify it with certainty to be 0.3mm pitch?

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    All the devices listed are 11-conductor, 0.3mm pitch connectors...

8. dbmiller5

Nov 28, 2012
    Yes, I can read an online catalog. I wanted to know if you confirmed my GUESS, that my FFC wire was in fact 0.3mm pitch. Ill choose the appropriate conector once I can confirm that the wire is 0.3mm pitch.

9. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, considering the fact that there is nothing to compare it to, no, I did not identify it with certainty... that would be impossible without something for me to reference....

I'm glad you can read:p

10. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Then stop guessing and take a ruler and measure the distance between the same edge of furthest pins. Then divide by number_of_pins-1 to get the actual pitch. It might as well be 0.25mm or something else. You should be easily able to tell the distance to +/- 0.25 mm, so the result should be pretty good.

dbmiller5 likes this.
  11. dbmiller5

Nov 28, 2012
    Prefect! This is was I was looking for. Without having a pair of calipers, the closet I can come it 7mm. Then the pitch would be 7/(23-1) = 0.319, which is pretty close to 0.3. Thank you for all your help!!

12. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Well 22*0.3 is 6.6, so if it looks like tad less than 7mm then you should be ok.