FOX Group Legal claims DCMA for showing a "The Simpsons mug"

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Trading an 1 dollar item for 30 dollar- there are too many people involved who actually do nothing but live off that difference.
And there are way too many people selling a $30 item for $1 because they produce it without experiencing any of the development costs or pay any royalties because they just rip off the work of others and clone them. DVDs are really cheap to make when they just set up machines to copy them by the tens of thousands. You can make them for 20 cents each, so $1 gives you a good profit.

And when they ignore other people's patents, they can make stuff really cheap and the poor guy that spent all his own money developing the device is just screwed because his price has to reflect the fact he is trying to recover his development costs and he doesn't have the "advantage" of the cost savings possible using prison (forced) labor or child labor.

There are lots of reasons some places can make stuff really cheap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/07/world/americas/07iht-piracy.1909766.html?_r=0

http://www.mcandrews-ip.com/files/article/china_patent_protection.pdf

http://www.eiris.org/blog/is-made-in-china-prison-labour-free/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/world/asia/china-labor-camp-halloween-sos/

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jan/25/apple-child-labour-supply

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/chinas-economy-grows-so-does-chinas-child-labour-problem

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I mean I bought it in a regular shop from a chain with many such shops.

I have to make sure stuff from a chain store is not counterfeit?

Otherwise, they can supress an URL where I show a domestic use of a mug with a Simpsons character (which is on TV almost every day).

that looks almost queer to me.

Like for instance in China, the police asked people to stop BBQ because the smog (as if that would be cutting down the problem in any kind).

BTW we have small scale car boots sales for counterfeit brand clothing here in Dublin run by the local mafia- mostly baseball hats.

They are almost certainly counterfeit. It is locally tolerated. Yet there is never a proof such an item is indeed counterfeit.

Well, the DPRK "EGNLAND" polo shirts are knock offs 100% in my opinion.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Then you can return it for a refund if it doesn't work. That is one of the reasons shopping local is more expensive.
Kinda uttering hey man ive read too much Irvin Welsh and one my contact guessed it's a Homer mug but hey look its Bart and the FOX Legal claim DCMA now gimme back my 1.50 euro or else what, eh?

I didnt read it at all but I can think of these kinds of books in case of doubt produce them from a bag when approaching the staff in the shop and also have the receipt ready from 5 months ago it is important to keep all receipts.

OK you know what I throw away all letters, bills, receipts, magazines, newspapers, flyers, leaflets and brochures because they are essentially useless and just cluttering up everything.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You all can buy from where ever you wish, just like everyone else.

When you spend enough money on inferior products you will stop buying them. If your happy wiggling a component to get it to work ... fine. If your not, replace it.

That is why MILSPEC (Military Specifications) items cost more than OTS (Off the Shelf). Both have a set a specifications that must be met. Did your wiggle to work component meet the generally accepted specifications for that component?

You have no legal standing if it didn't ... as PT Barnum said, "A fool and his money are easily separated."

The internet has enhanced the ability for some to reach more fools. But hey, it's only a dollar. And one million fools being separated from that dollar enriches someone to be a millionaire. One million is about 0.1 percent of the world's population.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
As I was told,

"A fool and his money are soon parted." Ben Franklin in Poor Richards Almanac.
"There's a sucker born every minute." P.T. Barnum

Now you try looking up these quotations on the interwebs and there are so many opinions it seems useless to try.:confused:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As I was told,

Now you try looking up these quotations on the interwebs and there are so many opinions it seems useless to try.:confused:
"This way to the egress". PT upset a lot of people with that one. :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
As I was told,

I can be pretty annoyig without to rely on any quotation.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Stealing requires that the rightful owner loses something, and the thief gains it.

Technology has raised a few grey areas.

If you bought a Ferrari, and I happened to own the right technology, and i walked past your Ferrari where you parked it and pressed a button and a perfect copy of your Ferrari appeared in my garage... Did I steal your Ferrari?

And the answer is NO, I didn't steal it, I COPIED it. You did not lose your Ferrari, nobody did. My Ferrari appeared out of thin air. ;)
You very much stole it -- from Ferrari, not the guy that owned the one you "copied".

Imagine the technology you spoke of existed. Now when Ferrari spends millions of dollars to design and build a new model of car everyone just walks by the showroom and presses their button and gets a "copy" of the Ferrari and Ferrari doesn't sell a single car. Why would Ferrari ever invest another dime in designing and building another car?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's a bold statement. It's one thing saying that you disagree with a law and another to disregard it.

When you disregard the law in an apparent manner you publicly state that you do not abide by the rules of the society with which you have signed a social contract. In a sense, this could null the contract.

And as always, remember that this is only your opinion and you can not enforce it to other people.

Campers in Norway can camp for up to 2 days in any pasture they choose, as long as they are at least 150 meters away from any residence and you don't have the right to inhibit them, according to the law.

Let's not start questioning the validity and enforceability of laws. Laws, in democratic constitutions, are the collective will of the majority of the citizens and automatically compulsory and binding.
Anarchy doesn't have very sound bases, especially selective Anarchy ;).
But Spinnaker isn't disregarding the law since the law doesn't require him to violate the private property rights of others. It merely allows him to and he is merely saying that he believes it would be wrong for him to do so and so he chooses not to even if he legally could.

And I agree with him. Someone works to earn the money to purchase a piece of land. They pay property taxes on it. They are required to maintain it, to one degree or another. They are legally liable for anything that happens on it. Yet other people who have paid nothing and have no liability for anything get to use that land for free and without permission. And, in may places, if they get injured in the process have legal recourse to sue the landowner!

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You all can buy from where ever you wish, just like everyone else.

When you spend enough money on inferior products you will stop buying them. If your happy wiggling a component to get it to work ... fine. If your not, replace it.

That is why MILSPEC (Military Specifications) items cost more than OTS (Off the Shelf). Both have a set a specifications that must be met. Did your wiggle to work component meet the generally accepted specifications for that component?

You have no legal standing if it didn't ... as PT Barnum said, "A fool and his money are easily separated."
The phrase " a fool and his money are soon parted" is from proverbs.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/proverbs/topics/money.php

PT Barnum is often credited with the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute" but that attribution is disputed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a right to use it domestically as intended in an unfettered way including to take a picture for non-commercial purpose.

There is no direct sales offer or any sales option, like a link to eBay, or a suggestion to contact.

It is not proven that it is knock-off. I bought it in a regular chain shop, not from car booth sales.

Good, That means you have no need to fear.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have the mug in question here beside me + DCMA enforcement agents will break into here at 4AM + taser me + confiscate the mug + arrange for this thread to become moderated.