Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits

Shmurk

Joined Aug 13, 2007
Hi,

I'm currently reading the book named "Foundations of A&D Electronic Circuits", written by Jeffrey Lang and Anant Agarwal, two teachers from the MIT.
I'm reading this book because I stumbled upon their "Introduction to electronics" course (6.002 on OpenCourseWare) and it had full-length videos of the course (awesome!) I bought the book and I like how everything's simply explained (as good as the AllAboutCircuits book :) )

But there is one small problem: the solutions are missing, and I tried to compare mine (for the 1st chapter I just finished) with something on the web, but there is nothing, either on Google or on forums.

My question is: is it "morally acceptable" to post my solutions on my website. I'm fairly confident that my calculus is correct, and Wikipedia agrees with me (I have added most of the proofs to my solutions, with ∫, √, and other things). As for the "teachers" of the forum, how would you react to such a website?

Thank you for reading.

Are you going to post the solutions for every problem shown in the book, which version of the book? Are you going to have it reviewed to make sure your answers are correct? There is a lot of work that goes into making a site a reputable site that people go to for answers.

What is your main reason for doing it? There are a lot of electronics textbooks out there... with such a small percentage of people using this one....

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
My question is: is it "morally acceptable" to post my solutions on my website.
Personally, I would only do this with the permission of the authors and the publisher. In order to post solutions, you need to post the questions too (ideally), and that is from their work. They may have even published their own solutions manual. If they approve, it should be OK. Perhaps, it's legal to do it anyway because you are only quoting a small portion of the book and it may fall under "fair-use", I'm not sure. But, you asked if it was moral, and personally I wouldn't find it moral without permission.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi,

I'm currently reading the book named "Foundations of A&D Electronic Circuits", written by Jeffrey Lang and Anant Agarwal, two teachers from the MIT.
I'm reading this book because I stumbled upon their "Introduction to electronics" course (6.002 on OpenCourseWare) and it had full-length videos of the course (awesome!) I bought the book and I like how everything's simply explained (as good as the AllAboutCircuits book :) )

As good as the AAC book? How could this conceivably be possible? :D

Foundations is indeed a wonderful resource, as is "The Art of Electronics." In fact, I used them as models for how I SHOULD write my course notes. Not there by a long shot yet, though. :)

If you were to just take a few sample questions and show how you arrived at the solution, you'd probably be safe under "fair use" clause of copyright. However, to do the entire solution set wholesale....that's a different matter. You'd definitely need permission to do this...but quite likely would obtain it with no difficulty. Anything that creates further discussion of a book is usually good for the author!

Eric

Shmurk

Joined Aug 13, 2007
I'll try to answer your questions:
Are you going to post the solutions for every problem shown in the book
First: I haven't posted anything yet, and won't do it unless I have the authorisation from the authors of the book. If I did such a thing, I would post my own answers to the problems. I planned to do this because I found no forum or website where I could discuss all the problems of this particular book. I chose this book because it had a lot of lectures on video on the OCW web site.
What is your main reason for doing it?
Maybe some kind of peer-review as you said in your answer. I don't really know, I just want to learn electronics. When I was learning programming, I found that having a blog or a website helped me a lot, I expected that I could do the same with electronics.
There are a lot of electronics textbooks out there...
Basically I chose this book because the other books I've begun to read were either badly written, or too difficult for me. This book is recommended on the OCW web site, and I've found it easy to study.
In order to post solutions, you need to post the questions too (ideally)
You're right, and I haven't thought about that. It's a major reason not to do it, I guess...
you'd probably be safe under "fair use" clause of copyright.
I don't itend to post the questions, just the solutions, and those who see a mistake on my part could write an explanation for the "good" answer. Basically, I was looking for a forum on this specific book but nothing already exists. I would write my answers on this forum, but I would hate to flood you with my posts.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, I'll think about that, and maybe ask the authors.

MichealY

Joined Apr 9, 2009
Shmurk,
I am reading the book and watching the opencourse videos too.Seems we are a little in common.I do not like mail-list,but I really want to discuss the course with others.Students of MIT get their recitation section,but we havn't got that lucky.

If could,I'd like to exchange the solution with you for peer-view,discussion or anything else.Discussion with others help a lot on learning new courses.

MichealY.

Audience
digital system designers; analog and digital circuit designers;

Contents
1 The Circuit Abstraction 2 Resistive Networks 3 Network Theorems 4 Analysis of Nonlinear Circuits 5 The Digital Abstraction 6 The MOSFET Switch 7 The MOSFET Amplifier 8 The Small Signal Model 9 Energy Storage Elements 10 First-order Transients 11 Energy and Power in Digital Circuits 12 Transients in Second Order Circuits 13 Sinusoidal Steady State 14 Sinusoidal Steady State: Resonance 15 The Operational Amplifier Abstraction 16 Diodes