Found a Broken Centrifuge w/ Capacitor Snapped off. WORKS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NathanielZhu, Oct 16, 2015.

1. NathanielZhu

Thread Starter Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I found a centrifuge, a Sorvall Fresco with a sign "This is trash, thanks" written on it with the lid torn off and beaten looking.
    So I decided to take it and see if I can get this thing to work.

It appears the problem is very simple, an aluminum capacitor labeled "11.14112 HCJ -22 08/03-01" eched on it. The problem is, I can't find any information about it. I think it's a capacitor but I really can't be sure.

Then I found a spot of the board where the capacitor fell off and manually held it and the centrifuge worked!

Problem is getting the capacitor on. There's no pin on this capacitor (most of it got torn off and is stuck on the board)
    What could I do? I'm thinking of soldering some short wires on but I'm worried about destroying the capacitor in the process(or whatever it is). Since I basically have no spares and I can't find any information about this thing, I think I should ask you experts so that I don't do anything stupid

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    99% you, 1% the part that matters, and it's out of focus with no numbers showing. Try again.

3. NathanielZhu

Thread Starter Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The only thing written on it is "11.14112 HCJ -22 08/03-01"

Nothing else. No other numbers or words

4. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    It's not a capacitor, it's a 11.14112 Mhz crystal.

wayneh likes this.
  5. NathanielZhu

Thread Starter Member

Dec 5, 2011
    oh crap. Is it bad that I tried charging it up with a 9v battery?

Is it safe to solder it. Would the heat damage it?

6. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    9v won't fracture piezo so you can relax:)!
    The problem with it is leads broken flush with seals attach wires with conductive adhesive best fix also no heat damage:)

7. darrough

Jan 18, 2015