Forum sticky management

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
There are so many stickys right now that I can only get half a screen of threads on my monitor. :mad: For these purposes, I blog the content and point to it in my answers.
That's true... I see the sticky's pretty much as I see the speed dial on my phone... I'm supposed to have 10 speed numbers registered, but I can't remember who's registered after #5 !

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Maybe there should be a sticky note regarding LEDs?
Oh, God, I pray not!

I wouldn't mind ONE sticky that had as it's first post a list of threads, posts, and blog entries that are of particular interest or value. That could even be done hierarchically so that the first post could have a link to an LED section that would be a later post in the same thread that was then a list of posts to specific threads/posts/blog entries/external sites that are specific to LEDs.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've recommended it before -- no one else seems to think it worthwhile.
I do... but I think of it a "tree of threads", in which one selects the subject and is directed to a branch with a collection of sub-subjects, until one reaches a definite list with just a few relevant threads .

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How about a sticky devoted to only higher wattage LEDs?
AFAIAC, we already have far too many stickies. Each forum/subforum should have at most two stickies -- the first one for rules and guidelines unique to that forum and a second one for links to usefile things related to that forum. If a third one is needed, it should only be done after establishing that there is a damn good reason for it AND that it is inappropriate to place it in one of the other two.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
AFAIAC, we already have far too many stickies. Each forum/subforum should have at most two stickies -- the first one for rules and guidelines unique to that forum and a second one for links to usefile things related to that forum. If a third one is needed, it should only be done after establishing that there is a damn good reason for it AND that it is inappropriate to place it in one of the other two.
I think I understand your point now. In that case, how about a section of archived high-interest threads?
But maybe we should be discussing this point in the Feedback and Suggestions section????

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think I understand your point now. In that case, how about a section of archived high-interest threads?
But maybe we should be discussing this point in the Feedback and Suggestions section????
Yes, that's the proper place for it. I should split this off into a thread in that forum.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
One thing we need to keep in mind is maintenance overhead. Taking a thread that deserves to be a sticky and making it a sticky is trivially easy -- perhaps too easy. But maintaining a sticky according to the policy I think should be used (or, for that matter, any policy that is adopted) requires that someone maintain that sticky over time. I think this is worth it, but I can't say that it is realistic to expect that this will actually happen reliably over time.

There are a number of alternatives -- and they could be reasonably brought together into a coherent policy. When I've got a bit more time, I'll try to put my thoughts together and offer them up as a suggestion.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'd like to point out a few subjects that can easily be justified as deserving to be archived or cataloged, or given some form of ease of access:
  • LEDs
  • 555s and timer circuits
  • PCB making (printing, etching, drilling, etc.)
  • SMT handling and soldering techniques
  • Oscillators and function generators
  • LTspice tips and tricks, and non-standard components library

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Well, I've got 3 out of 6 covered.

Just sayen.
Yes you do... but what I meant is that they should be put in a place together where they would be easy to find. They're too valuable to just be laying around waiting for someone having to search for them.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And they don't need to me "put in a place" -- they can stay right where they are (in fact, there are many advantages to using blog entries for this stuff. We just need a coherent and consistent place of putting links to it. I suspect that was what you had in mind, I just wanted to be explicit that the details of where the information is located is really pretty irrelevant, we just need to index it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And they don't need to me "put in a place" -- they can stay right where they are (in fact, there are many advantages to using blog entries for this stuff. We just need a coherent and consistent place of putting links to it. I suspect that was what you had in mind, I just wanted to be explicit that the details of where the information is located is really pretty irrelevant, we just need to index it.
Yes, that is what I meant... I think of it as a collection of links, or an orderly table of links of sorts. Designing an ergonomic structure to this data will probably take considerable work.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, that is what I meant... I think of it as a collection of links, or an orderly table of links of sorts. Designing an ergonomic structure to this data will probably take considerable work.
Yes, it certainly can. But I think we can do it in a pretty low-maintenance way, too. I've been meaning to put together something along these lines in my blog for quite some time. Perhaps once the semester is over in three weeks I'll make a point of at least putting together a skeleton for people to see what it is I am proposing.