Forum Standard Font

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not too fond of the standard font, either. What I particularly don't like is how what you see when you are typing or previewing your post isn't the same as what you will see once it is posted. This is particularly noticeable with the decimal digits and also with several of the symbols such as τ and π, which look very nice when preparing the post but which look very poor in the final product (though at least they do show up in the preview the same way they will eventually render).

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Possibly the most useful addition to the armoury of this site would be a superscript and subscript button.
The difference is magical on those technical sites that have this facility.

The second most useful would be the side block of useful symbols that this site once boasted and I once held up as an example of good practice and used to persuade other tech sites to adopt.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I, too, miss the side block of symbols, even though it was missing some pretty important ones for this site. The Symbol tool on the editor tool bar is fine -- and includes a more complete set of symbols. The problem I have with it (and this might well be browser-specific) is that when I select a symbol it always inserts it as the very first character of the post and I have to go up and cut it from there and paste it were it's supposed to go. That seems like a bug that needs to be fixed.

Having sub- and superscripts for inline text would be a huge improvement.

Also being able to have preformatted blocks that preserve whitespace and that would default to a monospaced font would be hugely helpful. The CODE tag is too cumbersome to use because the editor strips out "excess" whitespace when you paste anything into the editor.

I also find that the behavior of the editor just when you want to copy/paste something from one place in your post to another (often the case when working with TEX equations) is very annoying.

Hopefully Xenforo will address some of these issues and perhaps we can find some plugins to deal with some as well.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Add me to the font hate list. Numbers are especially horrible. Why the different sizes and vertical positions when you edit but sometimes looks ok when viewing??

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I also find that the behavior of the editor................
Just got back from the doctor.
I had an apoplexy when I started to respond with my views on that editor.[/quote]

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Just got back from the doctor.
I had an apoplexy when I started to respond with my views on that editor.
Ouch! Complaining about fonts would seem so insignificant in comparison. I do hope you are ok now.
I had two spasms in my lower abdomen last evening but didn't have to rush to er. The pain went away.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I thought (and I hope I'm right) that studiot was being sarcastic and saying that the visit to the doctor was the result of a stroke brought on by just thinking about his views of the editor.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I thought (and I hope I'm right) that studiot was being sarcastic and saying that the visit to the doctor was the result of a stroke brought on by just thinking about his views of the editor.

I read that the same way. Hope he was kidding. No one deserves health issues like that, believe me.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If so, are you OK?
Unaccustomed as I am to this outpouring of concern by other members in place of the usual attacks I can assure you I am as well as can be expected in the circumstances.

Loosewire would understand, were he but here and not gallivanting elswhere.

The machine at the gym said today my BP was 137/77 so I'm fine thanks.