forum rules.

norton

Joined Dec 4, 2010
well i apologize i didnt read that part i guess, is there a forum on the internet i can get information on automotive lighting? because i was reading one about lights on a bike or a car i forgot and it was this forum. any suggestions would help thanks much

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Learn how d.c. curcuits work,then you can help yourself.
There Is alot of Information on the e-books do some reading.
Post what you think you are learning.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Changes in laws, due to excessive accidents caused from diy led car light wiring and others, have prompted a change in the forum rules regarding them recently.

So the forum rules change with the laws in the country where the server exists and the laws from the majority of registered members live.

Thing about all the 16 year olds that are "electricial taping" leds in place of bulbs. Or using improperly rated wire for the task.

Get it done professionally.
You are dealing with hundreds of volts for neon.

This is not a trvivial task that you should be accepting advice from hobbyists online or anyone who cannot deal with the implications of the task.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Actually, we'd have to refer you to the Society of Automotive Engineers.

You'll find plenty of other websites where you can get bad advice.

Did you read the "Automotive Guidelines" sticky thread? Many reasons for discontinuing such discussions were spelled out there. Recent laws in the USA and Canada are big reasons. Automotive lighting is definitely a safety issue.

Even if you're a professional mechanic, you won't have the test equipment or means to certify that any modifications you make that deviate from OEM will be in compliance with applicable laws, safety standards, and quality of workmanship that the original equipment had, and there is no practical way for us to help you do that via the Internet.

Really, the only thing we can do is suggest that you maintain the vehicle's lighting in the same configuration that it was originally equipped as delivered by the dealer, because at that point it had to be in compliance with all applicable laws and standards in the location where it was sold. If the original equipment is faulty, it must be repaired/replaced using OEM parts, whether from a dealer, salvaged from a junkyard/breakers, or an auto parts store.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Really, the only thing we can do is suggest that you maintain the vehicle's lighting in the same configuration that it was originally equipped as delivered by the dealer, because at that point it had to be in compliance with all applicable laws and standards in the location where it was sold.
Then why do Chrysler cars and Jeeeps in Canada blind on-coming drivers when weather is cloudy with non-dimmed high beams for their daytime running lights? All other cars use dimmed low beams or dimmed turn signal lights.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Then why do Chrysler cars and Jeeeps in Canada blind on-coming drivers when weather is cloudy with non-dimmed high beams for their daytime running lights? All other cars use dimmed low beams or dimmed turn signal lights.
I'm in the USA, not Canada. They seem to be OK around here. Maybe you should move south out of that frozen tundra?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
My part of Canada is frozen a little from December (today the temperature is slightly below freezing) to March. The rest of the year the weather is almost the same as in Florida except there are no hurricanes.

Does the USA have daytime running lights yet? The ones on Chrysler cars and Jeeeps here are blinding.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
They've had daytime running lights down here since the mid-to-late 90's. They're nowhere near as bright as regular headlamps; more like a brake light.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If I remember correct. The story is that it was the greyhound busses that by "accident" found out then driving with lights on at daytime. The accident rate went down significantly. European cars have the driving turn on by default at least for 20 years. I have a 1989 model. And the driving lights turn on by default. I can turn the lightning down to parking lights. But never off as long as the motor is running

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
This lights on in daytime began in the 1960’s when Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right hand side of the road. The law required that lights be on to show which way a car was travelling, Volvo was the first manufacturer to wire lights to be on permanently.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
In my part of Canada, school busses also drive in daytime with their high beams on so they blind on-coming drivers. They also kill everybody behind them with the awful smoke from their diesel engines.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I visited Detroit last weekend for a Christmas party. On the way back, a car with Ontario plates was behind me. Not only were his lights too bright, they flickered. It was very annoying, so I forced his little hybrid off the road with my Ford 150 just North of Toledo. I do the same to motorcycles. Ho, ho, ho. :D

John

Tazcat

Joined Aug 10, 2010
Daytime running lights are a PITA. I have been blinded by them early morning when coupled with the sun low in the sky. IMO they serve no purpose on a brilliantly lit day except to add to fuel costs by loading the alternator and contribute uneccasary light where it's not needed.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I visited Detroit last weekend for a Christmas party. On the way back, a car with Ontario plates was behind me. Not only were his lights too bright, they flickered. It was very annoying, so I forced his little hybrid off the road with my Ford 150 just North of Toledo. I do the same to motorcycles. Ho, ho, ho. :D
John
What is it with you americans and battleship sized cars. Even a battleship will corner better and roll less then a Ford 150:rolleyes:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009

John
John, You are in rare form these past few days.

Have you been trying my Christmas Screwdriver recipe? Or are you just naturally "giddy" around the holidays?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nah, just 3 days of snow. At least, it keeps the motorcycles off the road, so to speak.

But, I want to get to my farm too.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
AHH. Stir crazy.

Yeah. I was stuck at work for 4 days in Feb. during the back-2-back blizzards. 4 feet in 3 days.

Sucked.