Forum changes ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I noticed there are some changes in the appearance of the forum.
You have now "notifications" on the top right.
You can see the amount of blogs in the statistics box.
There are also pictograms for clearification on the bottom of the page.

Greetings,
Bertus

PS has this to do with the change from vBulletin 3.7.X to 3.8.2 ?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hey Bertus,

This has everything to do with the upgrade to 3.8.2 :)

Any feedback about the upgrade is much appreciated. If some things don't seem to be functioning properly please let us know.

Rob

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not sure I like the notifications layout. I don't select or reject friends requests immediately, I wait to see if people are going to hang around a while (say 3 months) and are active in the forums, then decide. A pending request tends to swamp any other info. I get a lot of friends request from folks who just joined, see my name a lot, and click the request (I'm sure a lot of the other heavy users do too).

Since I am in a small bracket with different user privileges, I'm thinking of starting a second account to use as a comparison. It won't be one I use a lot, but will exist soley for comparison (to allow me to see a problem if one exists). This is a trick I use on my BBS, so I can see problems from the users perspective.

I haven't seen the PM quick reply option yet, that does sound handy.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
My input, not version specific, is to change the "Read Threads" to use database flagging rather than time based. I miss out on several threads when it resets daily. This way New Posts will show all threads you haven't read. Subscriptions as well sometimes do not update.

<SideTrack>

The "note" in Admin CP states "This selection may slow down the forum", that impact is only when a couple hundred members are logged in and active, rather than guests browsing, and with the speed of the system as I've seen it, would be an invisible impact. Especially if running memcache and have the db cache set correctly. There's a tool out called "mysqltuner" that gives performance tweak suggestions if the forum is operating on a unix box.

Here's the example output on one I admin:

Rich (BB code):
>>  MySQLTuner 0.9.9 - Major Hayden <major@mhtx.net>
 >>  Bug reports, feature requests, and downloads at http://mysqltuner.com/
 >>  Run with '--help' for additional options and output filtering

-------- General Statistics --------------------------------------------------
[--] Skipped version check for MySQLTuner script
[OK] Currently running supported MySQL version 5.0.51a-15-log
[OK] Operating on 64-bit architecture

-------- Storage Engine Statistics -------------------------------------------
[--] Status: +Archive -BDB -Federated -InnoDB -ISAM -NDBCluster 
[--] Data in MyISAM tables: 469M (Tables: 222)
[--] Data in MEMORY tables: 15M (Tables: 2)
[!!] Total fragmented tables: 41

-------- Performance Metrics -------------------------------------------------
[--] Up for: 175d 21h 35m 47s (93M q [6.131 qps], 3M conn, TX: 2737B, RX: 21B)
[--] Reads / Writes: 63% / 37%
[--] Total buffers: 309.0M global + 14.4M per thread (100 max threads)
[OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 1.7G (29% of installed RAM)
[OK] Slow queries: 0% (1K/93M)
[OK] Highest usage of available connections: 32% (32/100)
[OK] Key buffer size / total MyISAM indexes: 75.0M/175.4M
[OK] Key buffer hit rate: 100.0% (2B cached / 585K reads)
[OK] Query cache efficiency: 52.1% (34M cached / 66M selects)
[!!] Query cache prunes per day: 178
[OK] Sorts requiring temporary tables: 0% (24 temp sorts / 2M sorts)
[OK] Temporary tables created on disk: 16% (104K on disk / 635K total)
[OK] Thread cache hit rate: 99% (32 created / 3M connections)
[!!] Table cache hit rate: 0% (548 open / 72K opened)
[OK] Open file limit used: 6% (777/12K)
[OK] Table locks acquired immediately: 99% (72M immediate / 72M locks)

-------- Recommendations -----------------------------------------------------
General recommendations:
    Run OPTIMIZE TABLE to defragment tables for better performance
    Increase table_cache gradually to avoid file descriptor limits
Variables to adjust:
    query_cache_size (> 96M)
    table_cache (> 6000)
</SideTrack>

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hey Bertus,

This has everything to do with the upgrade to 3.8.2 :)

Any feedback about the upgrade is much appreciated. If some things don't seem to be functioning properly please let us know.

Rob
Rob, the flavicon needs updating. Also the decimator works perfectly.

Also, the quickreply option to PMs. One useful addition that.
Like that one too.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You guys do good work. I wish I ran my BBS half so well.
We try :p

Dave">

Nice work Rob. For those that are interested the PDF-tags are available from the Advanced Editor toolbar next to the new tables tag and the LaTeX tag; just wrap the URL for your PDF in the tags and it will embed the PDF as per Rob's example.

You guys do good work. I wish I ran my BBS half so well.
We try :p

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hey thatoneguy, thanks for the input!

My input, not version specific, is to change the "Read Threads" to use database flagging rather than time based. I miss out on several threads when it resets daily. This way New Posts will show all threads you haven't read. Subscriptions as well sometimes do not update.

<snip>
Is database flagging an option in vB? I'm browsing through the admin panel and can't seem to find it.

Thanks for letting me know about mysqltuner.pl. I've downloaded it and am tinkering with it and my.cnf right now. Cheers!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What happened last night?
All posts uptp 10 days are set to unread.
I used the "mark forums read" button last evening round 11.00 PM (GMT+2).

Greetings,
Bertus

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Great upgrades! you guys could also add an option to post instant visitor's messages in the member's list setion (other forums do avail it :D), it would be pretty cool.

My Off-Topic thread on 'Spiritual Zone' does not appear in the 'New Posts' section :(

Regards,
Shahvir

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hello,

What happened last night?
All posts uptp 10 days are set to unread.
I used the "mark forums read" button last evening round 11.00 PM (GMT+2).

Greetings,
Bertus
Rob has been playing around with the way "Read Threads" are flagged by the system. This is to make sure that a member always sees the unread threads/posts since their last visit, which is not happening in some cases. The masses of thread you (and I) saw is just the reset. The system should pull you up to date meaning that you won't have 10 days worth of threads and posts to trawl through, just those that are unread since last time.

We appreciate any feedback, particularly is this is not working as expected.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Great upgrades! you guys could also add an option to post instant visitor's messages in the member's list setion (other forums do avail it :D), it would be pretty cool.
Do you mean the last post made on the Members List?

My Off-Topic thread on 'Spiritual Zone' does not appear in the 'New Posts' section :(

Regards,
Shahvir
It does for me. Try again: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search.php?do=getnew

How do you multi-quote a message and what is it's significance? sorry, I still haven't got the hang of it though! :p
To multi-quote you select the square icon with the " and + symbols situated in the lower right-hand corner of one or more post(s). When you go to Post Reply it quotes all of the quoted posts separately so you can respond to multiple posts in one reply. It is just like the Quote function except that is restricted to the one post you selected Quote from.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hmm, an interesting observation I have noted is that my replies today to these threads in F&S (and in other forums too) do no show up in the New Posts listing. Now what if someone replies to them, will they get popped back onto the list?

Dave

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Do you mean the last post made on the Members List?
Yes, actually the list we access by clicking on the member's name

It still does not reflect in the 'New Posts' section

To multi-quote you select the square icon with the " and + symbols situated in the lower right-hand corner of one or more post(s). When you go to Post Reply it quotes all of the quoted posts separately so you can respond to multiple posts in one reply. It is just like the Quote function except that is restricted to the one post you selected Quote from.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Dave
Thanx, i'll give it a go :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Apologies, I missed this one.

Yes, actually the list we access by clicking on the member's name
The problem with activating that is that it necessitates large table scans which can ultimately lead to table lock-up. The net result is that it may increase server loading and forum load times, which I'm sure you would agree is undesirable. For this reason, I am inclined to leave the situation as-is with a Find option on the Members List (link on the nav-bar under Community) which will list all member posts in reverse chronological order, and have the Find post all posts by member X on the profile for each member.

It still does not reflect in the 'New Posts' section
The behaviour of this feature of the site has changed recently. The New Posts listing only lists threads that have posts in that you have not read - when you visit a thread it falls off the New Post listing. When a new post is made after your last visit/post to a particular thread it will reappear on the New Post listing because there are actually new posts. This was introduced because some people where not seeing new posts/threads on the listing because of the way it was implemented.

Does make what you are seeing clearer?

You can also list Today's Posts, i.e. all posted in threads from the last 24 hours: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search.php?do=getdaily

Dave