Fort,Lauderdale,Fla 100 Years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loosewire, Mar 25, 2011.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I going out to play in that big red ball of Sunshine. Will tell you
    all about it,

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Please do.

3. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm disappointed. I was hoping to see photos of Lauderdale spanning the last 100 years. :D

4. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    What city do you live in. I need to move.Kick the the can down the road
    and go with It.

5. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Just up the road from you in Delray Beach. Since you used the term "kick the can" can I assume you're old enough to have played the game? By the way... good news! The wife just told me that she sighted the first car carrier loading snowbird vehicles for their trip home. Hip-Hip- Hooray!!!

6. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    We were kicking the can to get the guys to post 1000 post on let me
    see your picture. Happy was going to post her picture on the 1000 post.
    So every one is looking forward for that post. How do like your down town
    with the narrow streets and cafe's. I know Delray pretty good,the Chase
    family..the big bank..lived in Delray ,maybe still do. Talk to me.....What do
    you think about my plasma T.V. Idea coming to life.

7. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    My post office address is Delray Beach but I live west of town in the county, close to the farming corridor. I'm at Bru's Sports Bar (along the west side of the FEC tracks) every Wednesday and Saturday between 1500 and 1830hrs. I stay the heck off the avenue because it has become a foo-foo tourist trap that only they can afford. I miss the days when it was a sleepy little town with no parking meters on the beach. I could sail my Hobie all day long without having to constantly return to feed those things. Bru's sits where Ocean City Lumber once sat. Thirty years ago I bought Iroko there to make SCUBA racks for my dive boat. I like Bru's but if I had a choice the lumber yard would still be there. ;)

I've no idea about your plasma TV idea. Post the link.

8. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    First look at my album and see my picture diving into the Alantic Ocean.
    Second day of lobster season,do you still go outside for diving and fishing.
    You must be near 441 & Atlantic,do you have a band.

y

9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Loosy...I see a blank post.

10. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Do I have a band? Well yeah, I'm 65 years old, so I wear a sweat band while working in the yard. :rolleyes:

11. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Well Mick Jagger still have his band......:rolleyes:

12. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    @T06-friendly Pirate,at least I'm nice.Now you see we can make comments on anything,by the way you missed my point on the Marine comment,do you guys know that saying I'm talking about..something about (you can't take the truth) the movie.

13. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Funny you should mention Jagger. He looked like a corps before he hit thirty.:D

14. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    @ CDRIVE,did you ever do T.V. repairs,remember the little greyhound
    station on the old U.S. 1 before they devided the hyway north and
    south and the texaco next door.

15. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm having a memory conflict with the wife regarding this. She remembers it being located on 5th (Fed Hwy South), where I remember it being on 6th (Fed Hwy North). However, we both agree that Fed Hwy has been divided between 5th and 6th for at least 34 years and probably much longer than that.

I do remember that the bus station was actually a service station. They had a sign on the wall that read something to the effect... "Don't tell us how they do it up north. If you don't like the way we do it down here make a left when you exit and keep going"!

16. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Back In the old days we would pull a car by chain 70 mph to Delray for repairs
    at a back yard mechanic. The good old days,441 was the Everglades,Its was years
    before Atlantic went to 441,what was the first dirt road to 441 or was It Atlantic.

17. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Hey, I see (profile) you like free diving. That was my thing too! I was exceptionally good at it, despite that fact that I smoked. I always had a spear gun in my hands. I shot more fish and caught more bugs than my wife and I could ever eat. Fortunately, my dog loved fish (the fishier the better) especially Jack. I'd leave that nasty blood line in there for him. My wife was my dive partner for 25 years. Never liked or trusted diving with anyone else because every time I did they would either do something so stupid that I barely made it to the surface alive or they would forget or screw something up so bad that we never got in the water. The wife and I were very hard core divers and would go through 200 fills every year... and we didn't dive when the air temp was below 78 deg. That's too cold for us but perfect for the touristas.

How old are you? Do you remember 'Sea Hunt'?

18. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    People told me I looked like Seahunt,I have had three near death
    experience going out on home made contrapation that a friend In
    Lauderdale By the Sea built,this guy made these motor driven
    surf board things that would quit-2 miles out,lucky to
    survive. He had a motel on the beach,we just walked to the beach
    and took off.I have other stories. I am a free diver,no tanks what
    do you think about my being free In the Atlantic,my picture on my album
    on my status page.Click on albums,then enlarge.

19. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Yeah, I know what free diving is. After we did two deep tank dives in the morning I would motor into the Boynton inlet and beach the boat on Beer Can Island, eat some lunch, shoot the crap with friends, and head back out to spear fish free diving, of course, for the afternoon. I preferred depths to 35 feet but on occasion I'd see a target that looked to good to pass up. He wouldn't be safe from me to 65 feet. Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Weight Belt, Dive Knife and of course Spear Gun. Oh, let's not forget Speedo's because baggies and free diving don't work well. They're like wearing a BC! I wore a weight belt because fish are never paying attention to Humanus Bifinus Pointus that are on the bottom. Like a land hunter, a spear fisherman should remain 'motionless' an unnoticed by his prey and that's damn hard to do without a weight belt. Every now and then I'd pop a 2 to 3ft Cuda for my dog on the Delray Wreck. My favorite technique was on my back shooting straight up. They'd never see it coming and their throat is a soft spot.

20. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    What is the status page? Post a link.