force IDE cdrom spinup

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by electronis whiz, May 18, 2013.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I have an old CD-RW IDE drive. I have an idea I'd like to try with it, but I need to make it so that when power is applied it would automatically spin up. I found a pinout for IDE near as I can tell i'd have to take pin 28 and connect either to GND or a + voltage to trigger it. anyone know if this is correct and if so is it gnd or + triggered? or is it some other pin or a combination of pins?
  2. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    Electrically a CDROM connects to the IDE bus the same way as a hard drive, but to operate, it expects to receive packets of command information over the data bus, rather than simple bit-level commands.

You can always power up the device by connecting power and ground to the correct pins, but without being able to send the SCSI commands over the packet interface, the drive will only spin up if its internal initialization sequence tells it to.

The commands aren't that difficult; you just need to apply an address to the five address pins then write the commands into the low 8 bits of the data bus, one by one, but they're not trivial, either; you'd probably need to program a microcontroller or something to do this.