For those that like to help.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by sceadwian, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sceadwian

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Just tossing my two cents in here, but aside from thread subscriptions (works great) and the 'New Posts' button that is on the menu bar of the forum that an "Unanswered Posts" button is a very useful feature to have; it's nothing more than a "New Posts" button that automatically sorts the threads based on the number of responses to them.

I find this useful because if I'm looking at New Posts I don't want to necessarily catch a thread that's already 10-50 posts deep even if it has a new response, what I want to see is the one's that are only 0-5 deep that may have been lurking around for a little while without good response as opposed to jump hip deep into something that may require me to read 2-3 pages of thread posts to even catch up on.

I know this can already be done in Advanced search, but having a quick button for it on the menu bar is priceless to people that want simple quick navigation.

cork_ie likes this.
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I believe I haven't seen this feature implemented in other fora. Does anyone have?

3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Electronicspoint has an "unanswered posts" quick link.

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Electro-Tech-Online has recently added an "Unanswered Posts" button as well.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Here we go :)

6. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Yes, ETO has a button for it right next to New Posts. It's just a trivial server side shortcut to the proper search results. Saves time. I can always make a bookmark myself, but I think it's a useful feature.

7. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    I think it's a great idea. Due to time difference some quite good messages posted in the slack periods get lost in the clutter when the forums get busy.

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I agree. It's a very useful tool and it would be great to see it here.

9. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    My personal preference is always to check subscribed threads first, if I have time left I'll check 'Unanswered Posts' which is sorted only by number of posts in each thread that is either new itself or has a new post from last visit, where the 'New Posts' is chronologically sorted by most recent posting regardless of the number of previous posts in the thread.

The Advanced Search feature does currently provide this feature if you know how to use it and I think it's more generally useful than the number of people that even know Advanced Search exists =)

I generally won't even touch a 'New Post' that is in a thread that has more than 5 posts unless the topic grabs me, let alone the 10-300 ones that lurk constantly and are likely so far in that I'd just be muddying the waters so to speak.

If I still have time after that I'll use new posts and surf the topics of interest.

Just the way I surf a forum, just the way I think.

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I use the random scan myself, looking for those threads no one else has responded to.

The red triangle is a major tool for the moderators here. Our members are very good at helping out.

11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Just my own opinion - if AAC is not set up the way ONE person likes it and ALL the ones who have been loyal to AAC have never complained, why change something that to NOW hasn't been broken?

This site has been for the most part FLAME FREE and drama free for a long, long time. For a person who has worn out his welcome elsewhere to come in and try to make changes to his liking is not fair to those who have been active/happy here.

12. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    It's not such a big deal, and neither would that feature disturb the balance of the forum. I also find it neat.

It's just that there is no admin around at this time to implement it.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  13. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I find no problem with it, to be perfectly honest. It's not "trying to fix something that's not broken". It's trying to improve it.

Sure, Scead and I don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, but I don't see anything wrong with this. It was simply a suggestion, one which might help a lot of people. I see no threat in suggesting it, anyway.

Georacer, where have all the admins gone? :eek:

14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Dunno. Busy, I guess. Bill or bertus may have more info on that.

They always drop by when the site breaks, though.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

As you might know jrap and Dave are the forum administrators.
    You might also have noticed they did not login lately.
    They do not need to be logged in on the forum to make changes to the server settings.
    I think that jrap is more for the technical side of the forum and
    Dave more for the forum layout.
    I have sometimes contacted jrap by mail when there where technical problems with the forum.

Bertus

DerStrom8 likes this.
  16. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    How long does it take to click on "new posts" and skim them? not long. If a topic catches you eye you read and answer. All of the posts since your last visit show up with the new post button.:):confused: Even with a unanswered post button you would need to read them.

17. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Random scan?

18. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    shortbus... this isn't a 'problem' there are other solutions, but the simple addition of a single link adds just one more feature that could benefit some users, just a suggestion. and as many features go I think you'd be surprised at how useful it is once you have it available.

19. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I believe one of our regular members has said it best:
    "Good enough is the enemy of the best"

shortbus, DerStrom8 and sceadwian like this.