Food at Disneyworld

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Aug 23, 2014.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I haven't been there since forever (1976) but next year is the 'big' vacation year. (4 adults and one 9yo child)

Most things are easy to decide but we are stuck on one thing.

Dining plan or no Dining Plan?
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...2015Dining.pdf

The selected hotel is in the park so we have easy access to just about everything so eating at resort restaurants won't be a problem. I say it's just better if you're a big eater to pay upfront and enjoy all the food but others disagree (they will share the cost).

2. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    I'm a Disney Pass holder and go often. Believe it or not we have never been offered or told about these dining plans. I only know about them doing my own research and having been asked a couple of times if we had one.

I don't know why Disney does not push/advertise these more.

You didn't say which hotel your staying at. The biggest thing is under the dining plan your limited to where you can eat and what you can eat.

Also keep in mind any place that takes reservations will fill up months before you go. Same goes with Fast Passes (hopefully you know about those). Make sure you go on My Disney Experience and create an account and setup your entire vacation there and get your your fast passes and reservations made as far in advanced as possible.

If you wait and try to go to a resturant making your decision while your at the park 99% of the time they will turn you away because they have no availability OR you can expect 2+ hour wait at any sit down dinning place where you are served.

The self serv places are quicker where you get counter service but keep in mind after you get your food you will be fighting a crowd trying to find a place to sit down to eat.

MY personal preference has always been to make reservation for dinner at some nicer places where you can sit down and be served because you will be tired after walking all day and will want to relax and then during the day just snack.

Here is an example. We are going next month Thur through Sunday staying at the Swan Hotel which gives us boat access to Epcot, Disney Studios, 3 Hotels and Disney Boardwalk.

We have already made Fast Pass selections. We did this all last month and were not able to get fast passes for the new 7 Dwarfs at Disney World because they were all given out (2 months in advance)

Resturant reservations in any of the parks were also a problem 2 months in advance basically there were none we ended up making thos selections at resturants at the hotels we are near.

Thur Disney be there when they open to ride 7 Dwarfs ride first.
    Dinner will be at our hotel (Mulino Italian have reservation) our thinking we will be tired driving early in the morning (2hr drive) and being at the park all day so dinner at the hotel means a quick walk to our room.

Fri Epcot. Food and Wine Festival starts we will be eating our way through the park all day. We made no resurvations this day and will play it buy ear being that we will be eating all day.

Sat Disney Studio. Personally for me Disney Studio and Animal Kingdom are not all day parks we won't be as tired. We don't drive any where (go by boat) so we are going to have a steak house dinner at Yachtmans steak house at the Yacht Club hotel which is a boat ride from our hotel. We have a reservation there.

Sun Animal Kingdom. We will be driving home this day, so we are doing a late lunch at Yak & Yeti (Chinese food resturant) have reservations for it.

This is just an example. IT comes down to your budget as well and how long your going for.

The bigest thing is plan ahead and stick to your plan. I've gone with my family before 5 adults 2 kids. I couldn't get them to stick to a plan which ended up causing us to miss things where if we had stuck to the plan we would of seen everything.

Fast Passes you want those for things with long waits and where those long waits are outside or in a queue not in A/C

Example would be at Disney world Haunted House vs Pirates of the carribean. Both have long waits, Hauted house a lot of that is outside waiting and Pirates most of that is inside waiting. So I always get a fast pass to Haunted House vs Pirates.

I realize this is more then you asked for but thoguht it might be helpful and feel free to ask as many questions you want.

3. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I'm staying at the Swan Hotel so your info is very helpful. The trip starts Jan 11 2015 with 6 days in the Orlando area (I plan to travel down to Key West for some more adult entertainment for a few days too) with a 4 day hopper pass that I hope will Disney us to death. I selected that time frame because a few tour sites had it as one the best times to visit. I'm not much of a thrill ride guy but the others are so the 'Fast Pass' selections will be in their hands and we get early and late admission to the parks too.

My plan is eat at the nicer places daily for diner so thanks for the tips about advanced planning and reservations using my already created account with Disney.

4. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    On the way to Key West ,stop in Fort Lauderdale and meet Loosewire at the World

famous Elbo Room. I will delete a few pms for time arrangements ,if you want to

set a time. You won't be the first or last to visit and everyone has been on time.

5. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    Excellent glad I could help. Only one other thing I see you mentioned early and late entry "Disney Extra Magic Hours" (or something like that). You get this when you stay at Disney hotels.

1. It's not every day and it's not ever park and it's not both morning and evening you need to check each park for each day. Ex: When I go the 9/19 to Disney they have early hours nothing late. on 9/20 Disney has late hours nothing early.

2. You can not use this benifit on the day you checkin or the the day you check out. Ex: Our hotel check in is 9/18. Disney has early hours 9/18. Check in time is not till 4pm but we want to go to Disney on 9/18. Since we are not checking into the hotel till 4pm we can not go early on 9/18. On 9/20 only late hours are offered so we could stay later. Same applies for checkout which is at 11am so if you checkout on your last day before you go to a park you can not get in early or stay late.

On #2 I could be wrong on this but this was what I was told by Disney Staff for the My Disney Experience website. I have not confirmed it with the hotel or another Disney office so it might be something you check into before you go.

6. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I'll see if I can make it. I plan a detour to the old base at Homestead to see thats left of the NSGA base. We had some nice stuff there before Andrew.
    http://www.navycthistory.com/homestead_KJH_1.html

I worked with the guys there when I was stationed at Key West.

7. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    Due to my son reminding me I was eligible to stay at the DOD resort at Disney World shades of green
    my plans have changed for hotels and food. I still get the Extra Magic Hours Benefit plus full military discounts for rooms, tickets, food and still be within easy walking distance to the Polynesian and monorail.
    If you're eligible this is a great deal, Thanks for your help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Green_(resort)