fog light/driving light relay feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeeps

Joined Oct 4, 2012
Hello. I am a Army mechanic I understand circuts and diagrams but reading much of the threads I have no idea what others are talking about.
I have a Jeep and installed driving and fog lights tied to high and low beams.

I am running a factory lighted switch to control the ground to a relay to a diode to the low beam power. Off the same factory switch to a second relay to diode high beam power.

My theory is when you have the factory switch on and switch from high beam to low beam the relays should switch, thus switching driving and fog lights.

Probem is when I go from high beam to low beam it does not actuate the relay until you shut off the factory switch and turn it back on. I am not sure if it is related to the colapsing field of the coil in the relay.
If I bypass the factory switch and ground it before the relay it switches everytime the high beam and low beam is actuated.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Again I am not an electrical engineer please keep it simple if possible. Thank you

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Would you please upload a diagram?

Most likely, there is still enough current in the relay solenoid to hold it closed. Holding current is usually much lower hand pull-in current. A diagram showing how you actually wired it will probably help us zero in on the exact change necessary.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I am running a factory lighted switch to control the ground to a relay to a diode to the low beam power.////
Probem is when I go from high beam to low beam it does not actuate the relay until you shut off the factory switch and turn it back on.
Is it possible the current to light the switch is coming through the relay coil keeping it closed?

I'm also confused about what it is doing. Please post a diagram.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Is it possible the current to light the switch is coming through the relay coil keeping it closed?
That is exactly his problem. He needs to disconnect the bulb in his switch from ground.
After that maybe read the AAC terms of service re automotive modifications.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, we allow some stuff, as in connected to cigarette lighters, but I'm afraid this one is not in that class.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.