FM Transmitter Modulation

Ag565

Joined Sep 8, 2012
I am designing an FM transmitter as a learning experience and for fun, but I am having some difficulty with FM modulation. I am using a VCO with a Colpitts topology and common emitter configuration. For modulation, I am using a varactor biased at 5V with a 1kHz, 5V amplitude message signal, which should allow the varactor capacitance to vary from 9pf to 19pf. I have an RF choke and DC blocking capacitor to couple the input signal to the oscillator. When I simulate my circuit in Multisim, I am able to measure my center frequency to be around 77MHz on the spectrum analyzer, but I am not seeing any frequency deviation on the output signal. Is the deviation too small for the resolution of the analyzer, which is ~9.6kHz or is my message input too weak once it gets to the oscillator because of the values I have chosen for coupling to the oscillator? I have linked to pictures of my circuit and frequency spectrum output. Thanks for any help!

Frequency Spectrum Output
FM Transmitter Circuit

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You want ((D1 in series with C5) in parallel with C2). The choke goes on the modulation input side in series with R5.

Last edited: