Flyback Converter Transformer Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gdelarge, Feb 14, 2011.

1. gdelarge

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Hi All,

I am working on a flyback converter for my senior design project with an input voltage ranging from 16VDC - 24VDC.

and I want outputs of the following:

+5VDC at 2A max, 0.5 min
    +12VDC at 0.5A
    +24VDC at 0.25A

I've calculated the number of turns and such that I need if I want to build it myself (which I am unsure how to do).

I was wondering if it would be easier to try and purchase a transformer or if it would be easier to make it myself.

Any suggestions?

(Oh and this is a 28W PWM Flyback Converter operating at a frequency of 40kHz)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    The problem is quantity one or two. Winding a transformer is not a big deal if you have the magnetic material. Lead times can be a problem for a project which is due before the end of the semester. Getting the transformer you want can be a problem especially for multiple windings.

I'd get the best toroid I could find and wind it myself. That way if it works you're in good shape and if it falls a bit short you're still in good shape because you can point out where you went wrong and what you would do to fix it. I don't think you'll get many points for using a transformer you can't get delivery on.