Flux core..

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Today I was working on removing some parts on old unneeded pcb to help clean up my work area. I was using a no clean flux core solder and it really didn't seem to sit right or go on properly like it fought to stay on and the tip oxides faster than normal. Have you guys any problems like that or just is the solder to old?? My favorite is my roll of Kester 44 on a metal spool and I need to pick up some more .
    Oh what solder do you guys use and can you suggest some to try out ????

Nov 30, 2010
    I have at least 20 pounds left on a metal spool of Kester 66 that looks like it's WW2 surplus, and it's still as good as anything I ever had...except it's too fat for surface mount parts. I conclude that there is no such thing as, "getting old" for that kind of solder. Sad that you seem to be running out of Kester 44. The, "yes clean, flux core solder" that worked so well for...70 years? is still working for me.
    Dr.killjoy likes this.
  3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    I prefer a 62/36/2 solder with 3.3% rosin (RMA) flux but 60/40 and 63/37 with the same flux are pretty good also.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Dr.killjoy likes this.
  4. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    My one experience was with solder that was either no-clean or water-clean -- I don't remember which since this was many years ago. I was _not_ happy with this solder have not used an since...