Fluorescent Ballast

koolchiq

Joined Jan 23, 2011
I want to replace a fluorescent tube ballast but i got confused. The old ballast has 4 wires: 1- live, 2 & 3 going to one side of the tube (end cap), 4- going to the other side (end cap) of the tube via a capacitor. The Neutral is also. connected to this side of the tube.

The replacement ballast has 6 wires numbered 2 to 5 and two wires labelled AC (not colour-coded). The diagram on the ballast shows wires 4 & 5 going to one side of the tube, 2 & 3 come from the other side of the tube. Then there are 2 , labels, AC input supply and AC 160V-254VAC.
How do I connect these 6 wires in place of the original 4 wires?
I have included the wiring shown on the ballasts.
Thank you.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The doc-file does not contain the expected schematics/drawings.
You can better upload a schematic in the .png format.

Bertus

koolchiq

Joined Jan 23, 2011
That is correct Wayneh. There are 2 AC wires: AC input supply and AC 160V-254VAC. None of the wires are colour-coded.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I want to replace a fluorescent tube ballast but i got confused. The old ballast has 4 wires: 1- live, 2 & 3 going to one side of the tube (end cap), 4- going to the other side (end cap) of the tube via a capacitor. The Neutral is also. connected to this side of the tube.

The replacement ballast has 6 wires numbered 2 to 5 and two wires labelled AC (not colour-coded). The diagram on the ballast shows wires 4 & 5 going to one side of the tube, 2 & 3 come from the other side of the tube. Then there are 2 , labels, AC input supply and AC 160V-254VAC.
How do I connect these 6 wires in place of the original 4 wires?
I have included the wiring shown on the ballasts.
Thank you.
The working circuits of the 2 ballasts are different. Just follow the instructions: 4 & 5 going to one side of the tube, 2 & 3 to the other side of the tube. Two wires labelled AC to AC input.

Ramesh

koolchiq

Joined Jan 23, 2011
Thanks Ramesh for the reply. The problem here is that I am replacing an existing ballast. 4 & 5 have no problem. On the old one the other side of the tube was fed by an incoming NEUTRAL and one ballast wire via a capacitor. So on the new ballast, although 2 & 3 go to this other side of the tube, how do i know which one to connect to the NEUTRAL. Or do I disconnect the existing incoming Neutral altogether. Also do I do away with the capacitor?
Also since there are two AC wires do I wire them together on the same terminal with the incoming LIVE?
I am baffled.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Disconnect all existing wires including the Neutral and the capacitor. Connect 4 & 5 going to one side of the tube, 2 & 3 to the other side of the tube. Connect the AC wires to mains - does not matter which is live.

Ramesh