Fluke 88 repair

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Capt Jack, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Capt Jack

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    I have a Fluke 88 which works on all fuctions except measuring AC voltage. When measuring 120 house voltage it displays OL. Any suggestions on where to check on the circuit board to repair will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Is it a true RMS meter?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, there's a service manual available for download here:
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/18800/Fluke_88.html
    but the most useful item for most people will be the toll-free number for Fluke repair.

I strongly suggest that you do not attempt to repair it yourself. Fluke meters are the best. If you want to keep the original performance and safety features of this meter, I can only recommend getting it repaired by Fluke, or an authorized Fluke repair facility.

They are really not something an amateur should attempt to fix, besides replacing the fuse (with a genuine Fluke replacement fuse), meter leads and battery/batteries.

There are safety issues involved.

4. Capt Jack

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the advice but I am a bipamper than a amateur. I am Electrical Engineer and build my own ham radio gear. I have the service manual and will eventual figure out the problem. I was just hoping someone here has already been there.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, my "amateur" comment does not apply to you.
    I wish you luck; I've never attempted to repair a Fluke.

6. ModemHead

Nov 1, 2010
    Check carefully the rotary switch in the VAC position. If the contacts are open or have high resistance, they can allow the bottom end of the voltage divider to float up, leading to an over-range indication.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    What did Jack N. say in that famous Marine movie.

8. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Do not hijack other threads perhaps:rolleyes:

9. agblume

Oct 27, 2014
    Hi,

I have a Fluke 88 and have the same issue with my meter not reading AC volts. Can you tell me what you did to fix your meter?

Thanks!