Fluke 233

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hey guy! Welcome to AAC!

You didn't do anything wrong, but this was necromancy, the revival of a dead thread. Appropriate for Halloween. :D

You happened to hit one of our regulars, he is still here and active, but most cases you would be talking to the departed.

Have fun!

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Fluke 233 is OK, but for me has two kind of problems:
1. The consumption of batteries is to high (for both the base and remote display)
2. The cursor is not comfortable for diode test (it needs to push the yellow button for the change)
Agreed on both points.

I got mine over a year ago and am still happy with it.

It IS a battery hog!
I rewired the battery holders to use rechargeable batteries and a wall-wart/lighter socket. It has been about 9 months since I have had to open the battery boxes. It is used daily. The batteries will keep the meter functioning for about a month before requiring a recharge.

It works well and at great distances when the batteries are strong.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
This old thread caught my eye and got me thinking about getting a new multimeter. My Fluke 83 still works fine, but I've had two wishes for it for the last couple of decades: I wish it measured RMS values and I wish it had a back light for low light conditions. This remote display is icing on the cake, as I've needed such things when a) measuring things inside a box and b) measuring things around a car when there's no one else around to help.

VoodooMojo, I've got some questions if you'd be so kind:

1. I noticed the 233 only resolves current down to 1 mA. I often measure microamp current levels with my Fluke 83, but usually only at my bench. Do you miss the ability to measure sub-mA levels?

2. Approximately what frequency is the continuity beeper? This is a deal-breaker for me because I can't hear over 2.9 kHz and, if the beeper has a higher frequency than that, it's out of the running for me since I use continuity testing a lot. (Yes, I've made my own tester, but it's a pain having to carry another item around.)

3. I assume the RMS measurement is the typical AC-coupled type of RMS measurement usual for most multimeters. Is this true?

4. Do you use the remote display ability much?

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
This old thread caught my eye and got me thinking about getting a new multimeter. My Fluke 83 still works fine, but I've had two wishes for it for the last couple of decades: I wish it measured RMS values and I wish it had a back light for low light conditions. This remote display is icing on the cake, as I've needed such things when a) measuring things inside a box and b) measuring things around a car when there's no one else around to help.

VoodooMojo, I've got some questions if you'd be so kind:

you can call me Jim...

1. I noticed the 233 only resolves current down to 1 mA. I often measure microamp current levels with my Fluke 83, but usually only at my bench. Do you miss the ability to measure sub-mA levels?

In the field, 1ma is more than adequate. I have other meters for more critical measurements.

2. Approximately what frequency is the continuity beeper? This is a deal-breaker for me because I can't hear over 2.9 kHz and, if the beeper has a higher frequency than that, it's out of the running for me since I use continuity testing a lot. (Yes, I've made my own tester, but it's a pain having to carry another item around.)

I am thinking between 1200 and 1760. It is under the tinitus ringing of my ears. I find that comforting. My tinitus rings at third octave A. I don't have a freq meter with me but I will measure it this weekend when I get back in. Just for my own knowledge.
If it is much more than 2K I will post that.

3. I assume the RMS measurement is the typical AC-coupled type of RMS measurement usual for most multimeters. Is this true?

That is my understanding.

4. Do you use the remote display ability much?
The control boards I evaluate are approximately 30 to 50 feet from the outputted hardware they control. The meter was purchased for this application. 50% of the usage of this meter is in the remote mode.
For that, it has performed well.
If remote was not needed, I don't believe I would have purchased this meter

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've used mine inside a machine with 1/4 inch lead shielding, steel doors and at about 500Kev. The safety protocol to run something like this doors open so you can see a normal meter readout requires two-man lockouts. So a Fluke 233 was perfect for general work. But we still need a bench meter like a 8845 for calibration so I'm hoping Fluke will someday sell a 6.5 digit electronics model.