Fluke 123 Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by metalworker, Oct 20, 2013.

1. metalworker

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Have a Fluke 123 scope and have a question about measuring current with it: using a 6-volt DC power supply & 1,000 ohm resistor I measure 6 mA with my Fluke 87 meter but with my Fluke 123 I measure 681 mA. Using channel A on the scope I have the red probe (channel A) connected to one end of the resistor and the com probe to negative (series circuit). Scope leads are 1:1 and measure the same on channel B.
    Why doesn't the scope read 6 mA directly on the screen? I'm a new scope user and self-teaching myself.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have a Fluke 123. I will check this out tomorrow.

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Sounds like you are shorting past the resistor with your probes and measuring the full output capacity of the battery. Good thing you're only using a weak 6v battery.

4. metalworker

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Read a few minutes ago oscilloscope cannot read current directly; the only method is to measure the resistance, voltage and use ohm's law. I thought because current is listed in the Fluke menu it also measures amperage.

5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't have the fluke 123 book in front of me, but IIRC it's a combo DMM/oscope. So it may have the capability of measuring current thru the probes; if so, see my previous comment. If not, then you are measuring total circuit voltage, which is apparently 6.81v. Where is the 681mA coming from? Is that a calculated value or does it say "mA" on the screen?

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Ok, I had a chance to look at the Fluke 123 and the manual.

I didn't realize from the post #1 that you are trying to measure current.

The Fluke is like any other oscilloscope, i.e. it measures voltage.
    In order to measure current, you need a special current probe.

Assuming that you are using such a probe, you can set the scale factor to
    1mV/A, 10mV/A, 100mV/A and 1V/A.