Fluid Level Sender

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by h2opolo, Jun 19, 2014.

1. h2opolo

Thread Starter Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Does anyone know how a fluid level sender like this works? This particular one uses resistance to indicate fluid level. When the float is higher, there is less resistance in the wires. I found the design interesting. How does it work? What circuitry is involved and how does the float interact with the rod?

I have one that broke. Can they be fixed? If not, I am still interested in the physics behind it.

[​IMG]

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Looks like its a magnet and reed switches in side 240 - 33 ohms,pdf

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. h2opolo

Thread Starter Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks, I read about reed switches. From what I understand, they open and close due to the force of the magnet. How would that create resistance? Im guessing the float contains a magnet? How would the resistance change?

4. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Perhaps there's a number of reed switches along the rod and a number of different resistors?

5. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    I did find this online:

[​IMG]

6. h2opolo

Thread Starter Member

Aug 2, 2013
    that seems plausible. I'm thinking that since my multimeter doesn't even show a closed circuit, one of the wires must have corroded or disconnected on the inside.

7. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Mechanical things always wear out eventually, could be a reed failure or probably more likely as you say a wire that's been vibrated and broken so it's most likely outside that actual sensor assembly. It's the same as the dc power plug that goes into your laptop that always breaks at the bend just into the cable at the rear of the dc plug itself.

8. h2opolo

Thread Starter Member

Aug 2, 2013
    That makes sense. Thanks for the diagram!