Flowchart loop

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Dritech, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Dritech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi all,

Hope this is the right section.
    When doing a loop in a flowchart, which method from the two attached should I used please?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    There are two methods. Method 1 is not one of them.

Method 2 is called a REPEAT-UNTIL loop.

If you interchange the structures you have a WHILE-DO loop.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Dritech likes this.
  3. Dritech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks for the reply :)

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I've seen both conventions used in practice. Personally, I've always indicated process flowing directly to the step versus using a node (method 1). IMHO, it is less confusing. I'd say it depends on what your audience may be expecting, as neither method can be misconstrued.

7. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I'm agreeing with Jpanhalt and djsfantasi.

The responsibility of someone drawing a flowchart is to make sure there is no ambiguity where the program flow is going, and both methods do that fine, but one uses more space and is messier.

I use the method in the microsoft example, it is smaller and neater.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    After further study... Unfortunately, I no longer have access to current ISO or NCCLS/CLSI (roughly an American equivalent for clinical sciences) standards. Nevertheless, here are examples of those standards that allow multiple inputs to a process.

Source: http://isoforlab.com/phocadownload/csli/GP26-A3.pdf
    Capture.PNG

Source:
    http://leanman.hubpages.com/hub/ISO-9001-Procedures#slide3797247
    Capture1.PNG

There are even examples of multiple inputs to decisions (diamond). It is my understanding that a process can have just one output and any number of inputs. A decision has just two outputs (yes/no; positive/negative; etc.). There is no specification for number of inputs; although, in my experience, I have rarely seen more than two inputs.

John

9. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If the box in No. 1 is actually composed of more than one "step" I will find it confusing. Just by breaking it in the steps it is formed by, you expose the nodes (access or entry points).

I tend to think that better you always return, GOTO or whatever to the entry point of the next step as in No. 2.