Flooded electronics

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello guys

My swimming pool pump area got flooded and we removed the pump which was completely submerged in water about a meter deep (rainwater).

The pump itself only contains a motor and a Capacitor both of which were wet when we opened it .
The motor is out in the sun to dry (it's gna be fine right? )

The question is the capacitor , will it still be functional or should I find a replacement ?
I've googled it and I can't find a satisfactory answer from the datasheets . The top of the capacitor is NOT visibly leak-proof but I don't know about the inside because I can't open it without breaking it.

Also i've tested the cap with 14 volts (it's rated for 250-500v) and when I short the leads after charging it there are some small sparks which means that it's working fine at that voltage.
Also no continuity was found between the capacitor leads when testing with my multimeter .

Thanks in advance.
The capacitor is a Ducati EN 60252 motor capacitor.

capacitorducati.jpg

I hope you guys don't hurt your neck tilting your head sideways :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've told this story before, but here goes: A boat sank in salt water with a TV in it. We hosed the TV out with fresh water and put it in the attic to dry for a month. It worked!

It seems that the worst thing you can do is plug it in when it's wet. Let it dry completely and there's a fair chance it will work. It would be smart to make the last rinse distiled water or deionized water.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I've told this story before, but here goes: A boat sank in salt water with a TV in it. We hosed the TV out with fresh water and put it in the attic to dry for a month. It worked!

It seems that the worst thing you can do is plug it in when it's wet. Let it dry completely and there's a fair chance it will work. It would be smart to make the last rinse distiled water or deionized water.
Yeah that's what I thought and was planning to do , anyhow thanks for the story ,12 :)

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Definitely as #12 advised... rinse with distilled water and place the motor in an oven at approx 150° F for several hours/overnight to dry it out. Sunshine won't do the deed unless it is really hot out :p

... the cap appears to be molded plastic / relatively waterproof...

After you get the motor dried out, you will need to relubricate the end-bell bearings / bushings before running it. Other than that you should be OK...

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
After 2 four foot deep floods at my manufacturing plant, and ready for another, I can tell you what works for me. Disassemble the motor if possible, get a couple of cans of contact cleaner without lubricant, and spray the heck out of it then dry. It displaces the water then evaporates faster. I have motors that have flooded twice and still operate 8 hours a day (river water too - that's worse). I don't change the bearings, the grease in them usually keeps water out. On circuit boards I use a couple of gallons of denatured alcohol and soak them, brush the mud off, then dry. Transformers I replace - the NEC says you can't use them, but they will work. Hope this helps.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
thanks !
Already dissasembled the motor and dried it , planning to lube it up and put it to work . There are no transformers or circuitry in the part that got flooded

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Transformers I replace - the NEC says you can't use them, but they will work. Hope this helps.
The plates in the transformer winding need to be insulated. Once they start rusting, the insulation is damaged and the coils start heating.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
(river water too - that's worse)
The sole option I can think of is sea water. I believe THAT is bad in comparison.

Every time I heard of putting again in service motors coming from any flooding on board, they were megged and sent to the oven for hours and hours. Megged again and to the oven until they were considered resurrected or just binned.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012

Several years ago, I found an old well pump down by my river property. Hauled it back to one of the barns, actually forgot about it for 3 years.

Plugged it in, and am still using it today.
It didn't come from any of my local neighbors, must have tumbled in the river bottom for miles. The pump section had froze and busted, but the motor runs fine.