Flip Flops

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Do flip flop serve as temporary or permanent memory and state the reason why . Any one application of flip flops.please.Thank you in advance

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Do flip flop serve as temporary or permanent memory and state the reason why
-- google flip flop and memory.

flip flop application
-- google flip flop application

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Well, to be fair, the title of the thread is "Homework Help". I agree with most though. As an old friend was given to reply to such a question, "What's the book say?"

All that being said, a flip-flop maintains its state until the input condition (that sets the output) is changed. As far as temp or permanent, if you want a given output to be permanent, why would you use a flip-flop?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You go to a book or go to AAC- what is the difference? You learn in either case [ both may be wrong or right, you have to decide ].
There are volatile and non volitile memories [ FFs]; a magnetically latched relay or magnetic core can be an example of a non-volitle memory, FF.
Power operated FF devices , IC FFs, 555, relay, can be considered volitle FFs, [ post # 6 ].
An alarm system is reset- green board- all secure. Window breaks generating a set signal to FF[ memory] causing an alarm, Red board.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Probably dangerous because the OP is risking his ability to learn by not researching, or thinking critically about it, and simply asking for the answer.

@OP, in what cases might a flip flop lose the bit stored?
Don't forget: reading course materials, be that textbook or lecture notes.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Probably dangerous because the OP is risking his ability to learn by not researching, or thinking critically about it, and simply asking for the answer.

@OP, in what cases might a flip flop lose the bit stored?
Not researching, so many people did that, so I can imagine it, but thinking critically about it, do you have any example?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Don't forget: reading course materials, be that textbook or lecture notes.
I'd consider that research.... Having a question and going elsewhere to find the answer is a skill everyone needs to have.

Not researching, so many people did that, so I can imagine it, but thinking critically about it, do you have any example?
Thinking critically was hinted at with my question to the OP.

One of the ways a flip flop loses the bit stored is at a power loss. If the flip flop losses the bit when power is removed from the system, is it permanent?

Researching could lead to an understanding that a flip flop is comprised of a series of gates. Does a gate retain its ability to operate once per is removed? No, it doesn't. If the things making up the flip flop don't work at a power loss, is the flip flop permanent, nonvolatile storage?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
One who learns by finding out, has seven fold the skills of him who learns by being told.
-- Arthur Gutterman

Taking charge of your own learning is a part of taking charge of your life, which is the sine qua non in becoming an integrated person.
-------Warren Bennis