Flip Flops help, I have an exam this Friday! Cramming!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by jshakil, May 4, 2015.

1. jshakil

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2015
    Hi, I need help with this problem, (I'm going to be posting a bit more) I don't want any answers, but instead I would like help on how to solve the problem. I have been struggling with this stuff and don't know what to do. So I've decided to come here. Thank you in advance! Homework 1.png

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Since are using a flip flop that is sensitive to the falling clock edge (and assuming the setup and hold times aren't violated*), Q <= D at each falling edge.

So, at each falling edge of the clock signal, what is D? The value of D will be output on Q at the clock transition.

*given the nature of this problem, it is probably safe to assume no setup and hold times for this flip flop.

3. jshakil

May 4, 2015
    Okay, so I know that D=Q. So at the falling edge of the clock, that's where Q will be whatever D is, right?

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    The falling clock edge is the point Q changes to be what D is at that point, yes - Q doesn't change at any other time.

So, Q gets the value of D at the falling edge and holds its value until the next falling clock edge.

5. jshakil

May 4, 2015
    Okay, awesome! I'm going to put my results in paint, and upload it here for you to look at if that' alright. Thank you tshuck

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  6. jshakil

May 4, 2015
    Homework 1 solution.png
    I came up with this...

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    That looks right to me, though your question is also asking for the value at t=35ms, which your diagram doesn't seem to account for...

8. jshakil

May 4, 2015

I just submitted the answers and it says they were partially correct. (It doesn't give information on which were correct/incorrect)

I'm going to try this again when I come back from work. I'll let you know. Thank you for your help so far tshuck.

9. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I would suggest you examine the value of Q at t=35ms...

10. jshakil

May 4, 2015
    Ah okay, so that would be 0-->1 for the 35ms.

11. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Thats it! :)

12. jshakil

May 4, 2015
    Thank you, awesome news. I just submitted it and it came out correct. Now on to the next one!