FLip Flop Help for latching switches

triath5147

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Hi I'm new to electronics and am having some trouble. I would like to use four momentary switches, but I need them to be latching. I also need them to cancel each other out when one is pushed.
I've been messing around with 4013's but can only get two buttons two latch and cancel each other out. Is there a chip that is more suited to this? or is there a way to daisy chain the 4013's so I can make four switches work?

triath5147

Joined Dec 20, 2010
I built that schematic with Yenka and it works perfectly, thank you. Would that also apply to other latching IC's? Like a quad D latch? I found this page yesterday while searching:

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm

I'm not building an audio system but it kinda fit my question ( referring to schematc #7), although it is an octal latch, and controls eight switches instead of four.

One last question. I was told that 4000 series chips should have any unused pins to ground. In the schematic provided by Jony130 I noticed that the !Q was an open pin. Like I stated earlier in Yenka it worked just fine. But if I was building the actual circuit and not a virtual one would it be a best practice to ground the !Q Pin ? Thanks in advance for your time. Thanks to Jony130 for the help.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I built that schematic with Yenka and it works perfectly, thank you. Would that also apply to other latching IC's? Like a quad D latch? I found this page yesterday while searching:

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm

I'm not building an audio system but it kinda fit my question ( referring to schematc #7), although it is an octal latch, and controls eight switches instead of four.

One last question. I was told that 4000 series chips should have any unused pins to ground. In the schematic provided by Jony130 I noticed that the !Q was an open pin. Like I stated earlier in Yenka it worked just fine. But if I was building the actual circuit and not a virtual one would it be a best practice to ground the !Q Pin ? Thanks in advance for your time. Thanks to Jony130 for the help.
Only unused input pins need to be tied either to Vcc or Gnd. Never connect an output pin to Gnd.