Flexible wire

jamus

Joined Feb 11, 2013
I am making a moving platform that has motors on it. I need some really flexible wire to power the motors with. It has to have a lot of give to it, so that the wire doesn't behave like a spring and effect the movement of the platform.

The motors are rated at 1A, but I doubt I will be loading them anywhere near that much. Separate conductors are ok. The wires will be about a foot long and there will be two of them for each motor. I also need grounding straps that are about three inches long.

Any suggestions for the type of wire I should use?
Stranded obviously, but is there any special types of wire with really flexible properties that can handle the current?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What voltage are your operating them at?
You have to watch the termination points each end as it will be fraying the conductor that may be one issue, 1 amp is very low but it is the mechanical properties that are probably going to be the biggest issue .
If considered low voltage you could strip a multiconductor cable or run something such as MTW/TEW 16g stranded.
Max.

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I third the test lead wire suggestion.

Another source would be a car stereo shop. They carry very flexible wire but in heavier gauges.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Whatever cable you choose, you can probably significantly improve things by using a longer length and going out of the plane of normal movement to make a V or W type arrangement.