Flexible Flat Cable Connectors

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jpanhalt, Jan 3, 2015.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    128X64 GLC displays often come with 2-mm pitch contacts for the 20 pins needed to control them (parallel). In the past, I used a laptop HD drive adapter to get from the 2-mm spacing to 2.54-mm spacing of common double-row, 40-to-44 conductor, gray flat cable. It works, but is bulky.

I think FFC in 1-mm pitch would work fine in my application and save space. We have all seen that cable. Here is a brief review of its history: http://www.avx.com/docs/catalogs/ffchist.pdf

The problem is what to do with the 2-mm pitch of the GLCD. Molex sells connectors for 0.3 mm, 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm, 1.25 mm, and 2.52 mm cable. I cannot find 2-mm pitch connectors or cable. One option is simply to make an adapter board to go from 2-mm TH contacts to a 1-mm FFC connector for the cable.

Any other options?

John

UPDATE: Just got from China a new display. It has the PCB traces and soldering pads already present for an FFC connector (1-mm pitch). So, the issue has pretty much evaporated for this particular display. Now, if it actually works...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015