Flashing/Steady/off LED light

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Rubber Bullets, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Rubber Bullets

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Hi I'm new here, and have done no electronics for 30 years or so, please go easy on me.

I have a number of LED bicycle lights, front and back, that have a single button that cycles the light through the on flashing - on steady - off states. Some of these lights are very cheap, and some very small, so I assume that the electronics required is pretty simple, I thought it would be fun to build my own light but honestly have no idea where to begin.

I have done a google search, and have found a schematic for a flashing LED circuit that I could use, and a steady light would be even easier to get, but is there a simple way to switch between them?

Any advice, or direction to information that I could read up on, would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

RB

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    You can buy LEDs that have the blinking built into the LED itself (tiny IC inside the package, maybe 0.02mm sq).

Otherwise, 555 Timers, LEDs, Flashers

That link will show you a ton of combinations for using or flashing LEDs. If you want more complex patterns, that's an option too with easy to use microcontrollers that are around these days, keeping the component count to maybe 3 parts plus LEDs.

Rubber Bullets likes this.
  3. Rubber Bullets

Feb 10, 2013
    Hi thatoneguy,

Thanks for the suggestion, coincidentally I was just looking at Bill Marsden's stuff on LED's that I found looking around the site. It seems I've forgotten pretty much everything I knew, and to be honest I'm not sure that was very much in the first place :)

RB

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    If you bump into something you don't understand, just ask.

I didn't mean to point you there and walk away, it's just he already has a ton of the most commonly requested circuits. :)

Rubber Bullets likes this.
  5. Rubber Bullets

Feb 10, 2013
    I'll have a read through, and at least it'll help me ask the right questions.

Thanks again,

RB