Flash Drive Capacity question

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
A few months ago I bought a 64GB Flash drive, in a small, plain looking black case, with a cheap clear plastic cap and back end keychain hook.

Last week, I found a 1 TB Flash Drive on Ebay, for $80.00, and ordered it.
It looks identical to the 64GB.

Whats happening in the world of Flash Drives to make this possible?
What does the near future hold?
Will we be seeing 2 TB drives in the same package, 5 TB drives, ?

Should I expect drawbacks from the 1TB, with access or write speed, etc.?

Just curious,
Thanks,
Gary

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Last week, I found a 1 TB Flash Drive on Ebay, for $80.00, and ordered it.
It looks identical to the 64GB.
I am afraid you have been ripped off. If you mean a classical thumbdrive, than I cannot find any that is made larger than 256GB, and those cost at around double what you paid.

Try filling it all up and see what happens, then probably ask for refund. A lot of chinese flash drives are made such way that they report false size to the system, and they start overwriting themselves when you try to put too much data in.

You may mean an SSD drive which probably are made in such a size, but still the price seems too low to be true.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll let you know if it fills up okay, etc..
I've got about 300 GB of training videos and documentation that I want to put on it.

Gary

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I recently had trouble with a PNY thumb drive (which they replaced for free). In the course of trying to reformat it to recover it, I noticed that it appeared to the computer to be 64Gb even though it was nominally 32Gb. I speculate that PNY makes one device but sells it under different nominal sizes, enforcing that size through firmware. I don't know about the costs involved, but I could see how the savings from making just one device may offset any cost of using a larger capacity memory chip.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
In my experience, USB flash drives are the LEAST reliable forms of data storage.
Large capacity = large loss.

I will stick to big old hard drives.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
My sons are computer geeks, and the youngest one advised me to aviod SSD drives, because the data can easily be overwritten. He said they required more diligence if used as a system drive.

I'm hoping that if I use this for storage only that it will work.

So far it seems to be functioning okay, at a USB 2 rate (pretty slow).
Once I have some videos downloaded on it (hopefully tomorrow), I'll be able to test it out better.

Interesting Amazon link, thanks for that.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You can test it with this "h2testw_1.4"
Google it it's free.

I bought 2 64GB SD cards for 9.5 bucks each and guess what?
One shows 8MB (did not format ) other one shows 64GB. The later one I tested using h2testw_1.4 and it told me 7.4GB Okay and 55GB corrupt.

That's what I found after I wrote 19GB worth of data and found any thing beyond the 8GB is corrupt.

I am in dispute with the seller