Flash ADC Motor Controller

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Nara Shikamaru, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Nara Shikamaru

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    hey everybody!!!.....i have a problem here.....i need to design the following:

i need to control the speed and direction of a DC motor using a potenciometer that goes to a Flash ADC (built with comparators and the 8 to 3 line encoder, not the integrated)....the you must design some sort of driver that manipulates those 3 bits to control a DC motor!!!...thats the thing.....
    i did a design but the teacher said that it should be Enhanced...or redesign!!!....

and it should have now 4 output Bits and i dont know how to do that...and also the teacher said that it should drive a 3/4hp DC motor.....i send you here the eschematic of what i could came up....please tell me what must be changed so i can drive a 3/4hp DC motor and to agregate a 4 bit...thanx

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Can you use a 74LS147 to get the four bits?

To drive a 3/4hp motor, you'll need to use your four bits to generate some kind of PWM. You can then drive the motor with a MOSFET.

3. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    ok!!...i just saw it!!...thanks!!....so i just need to add 2 more comparators and a 74147 so i can get 4 Bits.....and those Bits how do i used them to generate a PWM??.....and the mosfet would go directly to the motor as on the schematic or would i need to do an H bridge???....

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    beenthere, the OP mentioned that his motor was DC. I'm afraid that the reference you pointed out won't be much help to them.

Seems like what's needed is an H-bridge with a chopper circuit driven by the binary inputs.

6. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    Hey Sgtwookie!!.....thats right!!....i need to drive a DC motor of 3/4hp to 1hp....so how would i change the circuit to do what you said???.....how that of and H bridge with chopper??....you inyect the digital signals directly??

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    An N-bit flash A/D requires (2^N)-1 comparators, so for 4 bits, you need 15 comparators.
    74LS147 is a BCD encoder. It won't handle 15 input lines, which is what you will get from your A/D. Furthermore, the output of the A/D is what's called "thermometer code", which is simple to convert to analog with 15 equal-valued resistors, all summed together. From there, you can easily make a PWM circuit. However, this would be a Rube Goldberg contraption, because you can easily convert the original input to PWM without the flash A/D. Maybe the instructor has something else in mind.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I saw the 3/4 horse rating and missed the DC part - assumptions always get you in trouble.

9. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    ok!!...jajaja.....Hey Ron H....so ok....so i add the rest of the comparators to get 15.....now...is there a priority encoder that gets those 15 inputs and outputs the 4 Bits??......the problem is that my teacher is a pain in the as! and he wont let us use a Flash ADC integrated....what about the digital driver for the motor?.......any ideas?....what about sgtwookie´s idea of the H bridge chopper?.....

10. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Expanding on my comments in my last post, converting to PWM from the A/D output seems to require a D/A converter following the A/D, which makes the A/D redundant. You can easily go from the analog input directly to PWM. Maybe the instructor wants the student to go through the A/D - D/A process, just as an exercise.
    You might be able to convert the A/D output to PWM without the D/A by somehow using some decoding logic, a clock, and an up-down counter.:confused:

11. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    You don't need an H-bridge unless you need to reverse the motor direction, or have dynamic braking. For unidirectional speed control, all you need to do is PWM a MOSFET, and have a big diode across the motor to absorb the flyback.

12. Nara Shikamaru

Nov 24, 2007
    I totally understand you!!.....but you were absolutly right about the rube golberg comparation!!!.....i think he´s his succesor!!!....

creating the Flash ADC to obtain 4 Bits is a Must!!....that part has to go mandatory :confused: thats why he´s a pain in the as1....after that you must do some sort of driver to handle those Bits directly to the motor!!....check out at the beginning my attached file!!...thats the circuit i could design!!....but how would i improve or redisign that part now to handle 4 Bits and 1hp Dc motor??.......sorry for asking so much!!!

13. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Your design has a D/A between the encoder and the output (I'm not sure you realize that's what you designed). It is simpler to create a D/A directly from the output of the A/D, as I mentioned above. PWM can be done by using a comparator with one input being the D/A output, and the other being a sawtooth or triangle wave (either will work). The output of the comparator drives your MOSFET.
    If you really want to use a priority encoder, followed by a binary-input D/A, the TI datasheet shows how to cascade 74HC148's to handle 4 bits of output. Keep in mind that your A/D only has 15 outputs, while the encoder will have 16 inputs.

14. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I don't think anyone makes a 16-to-4 encoder chip. One can, however, cobble together a 16-to-4 encoder. IRRC it needs half a dozen 4-to-2 encoders with some clever tricks on the input wiring. I also found the following via Google: http://www.geocities.com/abe_karnik/encoder16to4.htm

One possible PWM topology would be a four bit counter and a four bit magnitude comparator. The A<B output of the magnitude comparator would control the MOSFET. Input word A would be from the flash ADC and input word B would be from the counter. A 555 or other oscillator could feed the four bit counter.