Fixing an IC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jamus, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jamus

Thread Starter Member

Feb 11, 2013
    This may sound like a dumb question, but has anyone ever encountered a method of fixing zapped ICs?
    A method for retrieving programming from a dead microcontroller?

I have a burnt up micro controller and it is pretty unlikely that I am going to be able to get source code or a bitstream from the company. If I could make it work long enough to bit sniff or if I could somehow extract its programming I just might be able to replace it.

2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Impossible.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You might find this report interesting. I noticed that I downloaded it in 2006. My how time flies.

http://core.kmi.open.ac.uk/download/pdf/72289.pdf

A blown chip would make it even harder. You don't describe the extent of "blown." I have "blown" a single pin on a PIC, but was able to use the others. I assume that your chip is more blown than that. In any event, it sees like buying a new device would be cheaper than trying to reverse engineer the device you have.

John

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It would be easier to publish a functional specification of the device and get some help in making a new improved model. Less cost in time and money as well.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    whst is the number on the chip? what kind of chip;?

#12 likes this.
  6. jamus

Thread Starter Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Good news. Although the chip has the telltale burn mark in the center, it was not the source of the problem. Just a loose connection.
    As the saying goes "CHECK THE CABLES".

Anyway, the chip was a PALCE22V10H-15PI/4, a programable logic device. If it had been dead, I would have been buying a new and expensive board.

7. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    if the equipment is vsluable or important, find a way to copy the chip and any other programable chips as soon as you can.