Fixing an IC

jamus

Joined Feb 11, 2013
This may sound like a dumb question, but has anyone ever encountered a method of fixing zapped ICs?
A method for retrieving programming from a dead microcontroller?

I have a burnt up micro controller and it is pretty unlikely that I am going to be able to get source code or a bitstream from the company. If I could make it work long enough to bit sniff or if I could somehow extract its programming I just might be able to replace it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You might find this report interesting. I noticed that I downloaded it in 2006. My how time flies.

http://core.kmi.open.ac.uk/download/pdf/72289.pdf

A blown chip would make it even harder. You don't describe the extent of "blown." I have "blown" a single pin on a PIC, but was able to use the others. I assume that your chip is more blown than that. In any event, it sees like buying a new device would be cheaper than trying to reverse engineer the device you have.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It would be easier to publish a functional specification of the device and get some help in making a new improved model. Less cost in time and money as well.

jamus

Joined Feb 11, 2013
Good news. Although the chip has the telltale burn mark in the center, it was not the source of the problem. Just a loose connection.
As the saying goes "CHECK THE CABLES".

Anyway, the chip was a PALCE22V10H-15PI/4, a programable logic device. If it had been dead, I would have been buying a new and expensive board.