Fixing Acrade Basketball IR Scoring Mechanism

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by myersgg, Dec 30, 2014.

1. myersgg

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I have an old arcade basketball game with an infrared scoring mechanism, but the baskets are not being counted at all. I love this game and it is no longer sold so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for fixing the scoring mechanism (here is the game http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=636 )

My thinking is that either the IR sensors have gone bad or that something is messed up in the wiring to the scoreboard, it turns on and counts down, but no baskets are ever recorded (it used to work very well). Any idea if this can be fixed and where my best bet would be to start troubleshooting (i.e. wires or IR sensors or somewhere else)? Is there someone that I can hire to take a look or is that probably not worth it and I should try myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this game and I'm really hoping to get it back to working order!!

Thanks!!
    Greg

Note: I saw there was sort of a similar post in 2010 but it seems he had a slightly different issue where his was inaccurate but working, whereas mine used to be accurate but has since completely stopped working.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Begin by taking and posting closeup photos of the display unit and electronics, front and back.

3. M. White

Jan 2, 2015
    Myersgg, Did you have any luck resolving the issue? I have the same game, same problem, and just started looking for a way to resolve it. Let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks

mwhite

4. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    If it is indeed an IR sensor at the basket, then it must have an emitter and a receiver. I'd start by locating them both and posting pictures of them. They could be damaged, disconnected due to vibration, or simply misaligned.

5. M. White

Jan 2, 2015
    Thanks in advance for any advice or direction you can give me.

6. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Ok, first I'd suggest you checked for conductivity in the cables of each sensor and emitter... I'm assuming you do know how to use a voltmeter, right? If not... I'd suggest you hired someone to do the job for you

7. myersgg

Dec 30, 2014
    I've been away but I'm back now if more pictures or anything would help. I don't know how to use a voltmeter :(. Do you know how I would go about hiring someone to help? Or any easy things to try before I go that route? Thanks!!

8. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    For starts, you may try your local appliance servicing workshop... most people capable of fixing a refrigerator or a microwave will be capable of helping you... just make sure to get an estimate before you green-light the guy...

9. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    M. White from your first picture you can see the emitters are working because they glow in the photo, I would suggest looking at the wiring of the detectors for breaks.

10. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I'd start there too... but he doesn't know how to use a voltmeter.. unless, of course, the problem is a disconnected wire... if the problem is a broken wire then he'd have to check for continuity.
    If you're willing to spend $10.00 dlls at your local Radio Shack on a very cheap (but very useful) voltmeter, I'm willing to help walk you through the basics of this project of yours

11. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    Are you the same C. Martinez from 8052. Com ?

12. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I know the site... but I haven't been there for ages and ages... so I'm probably not the same guy you're referring to...
    BTW, I do consider myself pretty good with the 8051 architecture... not to brag... just saying in case you need something related to that subject

13. myersgg

Dec 30, 2014
    Hmm I don't think my sensors glow, I'll take a better look when I get home. So even though they are IR sensors there should be some visible light from them?

14. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You could try to look at the IR emitor with a digital camera.
    A lot of them will show a white dot when they are exposed to the IR.

Bertus

cmartinez likes this.
  15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Now, THAT I didn't know... that's gonna come in handy in my line of work...
    do you think a smartphone's camera will do the trick too?

16. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Some will, some won't.
    It depends if there is an IR filter build in.

Bertus

17. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    No not the sensors, the emitters. See the first picture in post 5. It's not visible to the naked eye you need to use a digital camera.

18. myersgg

Dec 30, 2014
    OK update for me, I tried with a camera that can see IR light and there is no light coming from those emitters. Tested on a remote and it saw the light but nothing from these emitters. Any idea what my next step would be?

19. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Check for continuity in the cables that connect the emitters and the receivers to the main board... using the $10 dlls voltmeter that I suggest you give yourself as a late christmas or early valentine's present...

20. myersgg

Dec 30, 2014
    Voltmeter arrived today! I'm at work now but I'm sure I'll be back with questions once I get it fired up. So as I understand it I would want to set it to continuity test and touch both ends of each wire to ensure the current goes through them? Should I also plug the system in and check for power coming from the wires that go to the emitters? ...and if so what setting would I use for that? Thanks!!!