Fix Seinnheiser PC350s - Rewiring Two 3 pole to One 4 pole audio jack

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Wrath of Jon, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Wrath of Jon

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 19, 2015
    OK, so I've had this pair of headsets for a year, bought them used on Ebay awhile back and they worked great for a year. Until one day the mic decided to stop working. I took them to an electronics repair shop to have him rewire the mic jack and it still didn't work. Here's a few pictures of what I'm working with:

Image of a 4 pole that I took off of another headset
    [​IMG]

What I currently have on my PC350
    [​IMG]

An inline mic mute switch and volume adjustment on the PC350s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what my plan is, is to use the 4 pole as my solo connection, but I still want all the functionality of the headset, mic, audio, and the controls to work properly.

2. Wrath of Jon

Jan 19, 2015
    I dont see an option to edit my previous post, so im posting a reply. I'm used to forums having the option to edit your own post. Which is helpful when trying to update an ongoing project.

Anyways I just tested the wires on my 4 pole and this is what I got:

[​IMG]

What I dont understand already is what to do with what I think is the un sheathed ground wire?

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Check if that bare copper wire is connected to the black or any other. It is generally intended to shield the cable from interference and connected to ground (common).

Edit: the edit is in the lower left of each post box. Only visible for your own posts, of course.

4. Wrath of Jon

Jan 19, 2015
    It was wrapped around the white wire when I cut it open, so it must have been shielding it. But I couldnt get a reading for it on any of the points I tested on the jack.

5. Wrath of Jon

Jan 19, 2015
    I dont seem to have an edit post option on my page.

HA! as soon as I posted that I now have the option on this post. I swear I didnt have it before though

6. Wrath of Jon

Jan 19, 2015
    I reread your post and tested the loose copper to all the other wires. I didnt see any reading on any of them. So I guess that means that it is just shielding the white wire.

I notice that the sheathed copper wire is intertwined with some fiber material, not that it matters but would anyone know what that is about?

PS apparently theres a time limit of 10 min to edit a post.