first time toy builder

jwatson123

Joined Aug 18, 2009
Hi, my boy likes to build electronic circuits, he was suggested to try to put everything together and build a little toy such as a car or a train.
my question is, does he need the sound, lights and motor circuit separate, or do they sell everything in one? or in case it is separate circuits, does it need to be connected to a power supply?
i am sorry if the questions sound stupid, but since I only buy him some kits I don't know much about it.
thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It would help in responding if we knew a little more about the plan. Take cars for example: 1) Are you talking about an RC car, tethered car, or display model? 2) How old is your son? 3) If it's RC, is it for racing, scale, etc.? 4) Does he have any experience in it? 5) Where are you located (roughly)? In the US, it is common to buy a completed car then add bells and whistles, at least for starters.

Similar questions apply to trains, but in that case, location is probably even more important. Model trains appear to be less popular than cars overall, but there are also large regional differences in interest and resources available. If one starts with a train and motor, there are lots of add-ons available through specialty shops.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We have had hobbyists of many types build various things from police lights to aircraft guns to Dr. Who props on here. With miniaturization it is also a matter of imagination.