First PCB board made

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by greenJames, Jun 24, 2013.

1. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello all
    Well I've made (cut) my first board today.

Images will follow tomorrow

Now while I enjoyed my self making this board I did find it very long winded
    I drew my design in Diptrace and then exported it to a DXF file which sounds easy How ever when I opened it in my CAD program and VCARVE PRO I was faced with single lines for my traces. Now faced with single lines I just offset them inwards & outwards cool but it took for ever to do also at the end of the day my traces are all a bit close but I think usable but I will let you all be the judge of that. after I offset all the traces I went to my CAD program and added just the holes as on the vcarve drawing I deleted all the holes as I wanted it to be constant which worked very well.

I have to admit my first cut out of the traces was wrong I didn't mirror the drawing o'well you live and learn all in all it worked out quite well but could be a bit faster next time.

I even got cocky and engraved the parts to the top, next time I will spray the top with white paint first and then engrave.

I think I broke two of all my cutters doing this

2 .01 20 deg engraver
    2 0.80 end mills
    2 2 mm endmill for cutting out the board and Location holes

I think next time I'm going to try and change trace and pad sizes esp on the resistors, diode's,motor,power,LDR also the power amps but for a first go I think I've made a good start

James

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Congratulations. It's quite a sense of accomplishment when your first homebrew board comes alive.

You've learned a number of lessons and I'm sure have identified a number of steps that just didn't work as cleanly or as efficiently as you would have liked. So you will look for ways to do it better. I suspect that by the time you are making your 20th board you will be doing things almost entirely differently than you did the first one (probably much sooner than that, if you are like most of us!).

3. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you WBahn yes it feels quite nice to have made my first board

Plus I did it on my own CNC machine. I spent all weekend making a vac bed for my machine that didn't work how I wanted it to, My PCB board was to bent for the vac to work. with this in mind I'm going to increase the size of the intake holes from 6mm to a whopping 32 mm as I have some old pvc pip in the garage.

but the board I made did benefit from the flat vac bed.

well here are the images of my first board sorry but I can't seam to load from flickr so I will have to attach them.

James

4. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Looks so far good but you have a while to go till it's perfect...
    Do you plan on using that board in the attachments ???

5. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes I hope to use it today I do have four jumper wires to add

James

6. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    You are going to have a hell of a time soldering some of those pads without connecting to the ground plane.

What size holes are those? They look a little big to me. Or maybe the pads are too small.

Bob

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Not bad for first go.

Here are a few tips:

1) You don't need to mill two tracks to separate two traces. One will do.

2) You don't need to connect traces from pin to pin. Select the closest point on the trace to connect.

3) You can eliminate a number of those 45° bends and traces.

You are going to have some difficulty using that board as is because of the poor hole registration. The leads of thu-hole components will short to the ground plane.

8. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you mrchip for the tips

the holes are all .80 mm is this to big ??

James

9. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I think my pads are too small I'm going to try oval pads next time i think

James

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    .80mm = 0.031" is ok for most thru-hole components.

For my own interest, what CNC machine are you using?

How did you convert from the Diptrace output to the CNC file?

11. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm using a home made CNC Machine (made 18 months ago with my son) which is run with mach3

I used diptrace and converted it to DXF file and then I loaded it into Vcarve pro and then offset all the single lined traces long processes and then I opened the hole files in viacad and changed all the hole to .80 and then moved it back to Vcarve which is easier to do then generated my gcode in Vcarve as I can control the cutter better

James

12. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    would you like a image of my CNC machine posting ??

James

13. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sure, that would be nice.

14. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Ok Here it is usable cutting area of 960 mm x 840 mm with a 2kw water cooled router
    and of course variable speed controller

James

spark8217 likes this.
  15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Very nice!

Is that an air driven motor? What is the model number?
    What is the rpm?

16. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    No the wire is coming out the middle and he said it was water cooled too ....

17. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
  18. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I think you can get some pretty decent results. Personally, I'd scrap that board, or put it on the wall.
    There only seems to be one connection to the ground plane, and it's going to be very hard to solder because of the hole alignment and pad size. I worry about the unconnected pad on one of the three pin components, and there's a horizontal trace about one fourth of the way up that looks dangerously thin.

19. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sorry, I was too anxious to see the photo and didn't read the text.

20. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    you are all correct the PCB has gone in the bin I will try to do another board at the weekend

I'm going to increase the pads but that size and shape should I make them also a increase of trace to about 1 mm what do you think ??

James