First designed schematic, please check

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Adamf001, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Adamf001

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Hello again AAC,
    taking some of your guys advice I have finally designed a power supply for a few projects etc...
    The circuit involves using the voltage adjuster LM317 and LM337

could some of the experienced designers just give my schematic a once over, make sure there is no obvious faults. and as another question, do I need that Capacitor that I have circled? if so why?
    (Sorry for the poor scanning quality)(both attachments are the same)

I designed the circuit by combining the best bits of a couple of a designs

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Your chip usage is good but your transformer connections have a fault.

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Your trying to split a single transformer to get both positive and negative outputs. You can't do that (with or without C1). You need a center taped transformer to get both plus and minus outputs. Or a second transformer.

The 10 uF on the ADJ terminals may slow the response when you adjust the pots. I would leave them out.

Those pots will be drawing up to 10 mA when nearing zero volts, so make sure they can handle that.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You can't get there with that transformer. Try this.

5. Adamf001

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2011
    ok, I understand that so would I be able to place a secondary transformer in place of C1?

and how would I get a negative supply from the secondary transformer, because I think I need a negative supply being suplied to the LM337? or not?

6. Adamf001

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I think your Idea would be better than using two transformers, and I see how you can get a negative supply, thanks 12...

but just for arguments sake I'd like to know how I'd do this with two transformers??

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just use the secondary winding of the second transformer as a continuation of the secondary on the first transformer. The point where you attach them together becomes the "center tap".

Adamf001 likes this.