First daughter board design for a breadboard

Padapolis

Joined Feb 21, 2013
OK I’m finally going to do it! I’m going to solder a circuit to a board. I’ve been fiddling with 555 timer circuits on a solderless breadboard, and to be honest it gets kind of tedious wiring the same section of circuit over and over and over again. That section of circuit is the 555 timer portion that drives the various IC’s and LED’s in the rest of the circuit. So I figured I could just build that section on a daughter board, which then I could just plug into the solderless breadboard and be done with it.

So I have two questions:
#1 - What type of board would be best for this application. Keeping in mind that I’m a beginner. I don’t want the daughter board to be much bigger than the installed components. Because the circuit will sit on top of a breadboard I don’t want it taking up too much valuable space.

#2 - What type of pins should I use? I’ll need something that can stand up to repeated plugging and unplugging from the breadboard.

I’m including an image of what I see this looking like, sort of.

:) Also just a quick shout out and thank you to Bill Marsden, for providing a wealth of information on 555 circuits. Being able to make lights go blink - blink anyway I want is really kind of fun, and it entertains my children at the same time.

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
#1 - What type of board would be best for this application. Keeping in mind that I’m a beginner. I don’t want the daughter board to be much bigger than the installed components. Because the circuit will sit on top of a breadboard I don’t want it taking up too much valuable space.

#2 - What type of pins should I use? I’ll need something that can stand up to repeated plugging and unplugging from the breadboard.
#1-Whatever you can find really..Just a universal prototype circuit board with individual solder pads.
#2-Whatever you can find really again.. Many use .025" square pins on .1" centers with matching headers.

The fun part of DIY is picking exactly what you want and doing it your way.

patricktoday

Joined Feb 12, 2013
Radio Shack has a pcb that's laid out just like a breadboard with each 5 pins in a row connected, or there's stripboard (aka veroboard) which is quite intuitive to use. You could cut the board with a small saw quite easily or score it and snap it off. The only thing is, I don't know how you'd get the header pins to stick out underneath the board... :confused:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
#1 I'd recommend PCB like the attached. They are plate-through double sided PCB and would hold any pins soldered to it well; if you have to pull out the PCB from the breadboard often.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-Double-Side-Prototype-PCB-Universal-Board-/200907890192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec70b1e10

#2 Any type of pin available to you easily as long as they are long enough to make good contact with your breadboard and preferably coated with gold.

I have plenty of pins from wire wrapping euro-plugs and sockets that were scrapped from a telephone exchange that would be perfect for this....

Allen