Fire Alarms & Relays

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kevinhannan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. kevinhannan

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I am severely deaf and I want to wire my fire alarm to a mains relay to switch off the mains when the fire alarm is tripped.

You see, I have a vibrating motor device that alerts me when the electric is tripped, and so when the fire alarm is tripped, it switches off the mains extension lead which triggers my alarm.

I know it sounds a bit complicated, and there are probably simpler ways but I just want to see this particular problem through.

I'm guessing that when the alarm is tripped there will be a voltage at the piezo buzzer which can then turn a mains relay off. The extension lead is connected to/controlled by the relay.

I have two problems:

I don't know how to wire a relay having never had one. Can someone point the way for me please?

When the alarm stops (because the battery is dead) I want the mains to stay off.

When the alarm is reset (working again) the mains must come on again.

I think once I have got my first project out of the way I will have the confidence to try other projects by myself. It's just that I need my hand holding for this first one. Silly I know, but that's me!

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate it very much.

Kevin

2. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  3. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    Kevin --
    I would consider using at least one strobe light in your sleeping area. That gentle vibration may not be enough to wake you up. They are commercially available -- we have them here where I work at an alarm company: with all the different alarms being tested, we have come to ignore the sounds.

--Rich

4. kevinhannan

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks, Gerty and RiJoRI,

thank you both for your kind replies:

I'll look into the shunt trip; it sounds ideal, although what difference it is to a latching 240v relay I'm not quite sure (ie why you would choose one over the other)

I have a phenomenally mental vibrating pad under my mattress, thanks; powerful enough to create a tsumani somewhere!

(Funnily enough, having come home today, the pad and alarm had tripped for the first time, bit no smoke or fire - I'm guessing the leccy must have spiked)

Thnaks again guys! Especvially for your time.

5. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    "(Funnily enough, having come home today, the pad and alarm had tripped for the first time, bit no smoke or fire - I'm guessing the leccy must have spiked)"

The alarm industry spends a LOT of time and money on False Alarm Reduction. Many townships will fine the homeowners for false alarms on a rising scale. We're talking something like $500, $1000, $5000, etc.

--Rich

6. kevinhannan

Oct 5, 2009
    In England, we just have hard stares and filthy looks!

That hurts....