Finite State Machine Homework Problem

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by testing12, Nov 9, 2011.

1. testing12

Thread Starter Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Hello everyone,

Can someone please review my solution for the problem below, i want to be sure I did this correctly, i do not have a solution manual for this one. I dont ask for confirmation usually, but this one is important. :)
    Thank you for your help!

[​IMG]

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Your answer isn't complete. Some points I 'd like to mark:

1) The diagram isn't complete until for every state you have two arrows coming from it, one for w=1 and one for w=0.
    2) On state G you have two w=1 inputs. I guess that's a typo and the topmost is w=0.
    3) On state E you should have a loop for w=1, for inputs like w=1111111.
    4) You have not taken the case of w=1001111 into account. In your diagram it will go A>B>F>G>H>B>C>D. You should drive the diagram from H to C when a 1 is given.

Try it once more.

testing12 likes this.
  3. testing12

Thread Starter Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Thank you for your help Georacer.

I spoke to my professor before seeing this reply, and was given solutions, posted below. It turns out a mealy design was used. Im not sure why this was chosen or how I should know to use a mealy design instead of a moore design. I know a mealy's outputs are based on input values (ie. w, in this case). I also know that mealy design will have output the moment the appropiate inputs = 1 as opposed to a moore design where the output will wait until the next clock cycle. Below is my answer, any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[​IMG]

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Similar to the one you first posted, but it's a Mealy. I really don't like Mealy machines for the reason you said, the output stays as long as the input. The solution is viable, though and it can be done both ways.

This is the Moore equivalent.
    [​IMG]

testing12 likes this.
  5. testing12

Thread Starter Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Thank you Sir.