Finding PIC Microcontroller H Files

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by crazyengineer, Sep 22, 2012.

1. crazyengineer

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Hello everyone. For my research, I have to learn how to use PIC microcontrollers, even though I used ATmel microcontrollers in the the past. I want to know where I can find .h files of all pic microcontrollers?

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    They will be included with your C compiler. If you play with assembler you have to look in the MPLAB install folder for the *.inc files. Kind of strange question why do you ask about this

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That will depend on your installation. On my computer the header files are in:

Program Files/HI-TECH Software/PICC/9.83/include/

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    That remind me of one thing. In older versions of Hi-Tech C. Many PICs shared the same header file. So it was kind of confusing for the beginner. If you use any version of Hi-Tech C or the XC8 compiler. Read the quickstart.pdf document in the \docs folder

5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The newer versions of Microchip compilers are going that way too, one common header file for every device family. The C18 project I'm currently doing gets device info from
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. #include <p18cxxx.h>
    and the XC8 app I did previously used:
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. #include <xc.h>
    Now all the traditional individual hearer files are still there, and still quite useful. I usually drop the one for the specific PIC into the "Other files" folder for quick reference.