Finding a way to connect the end of Christmas lights to a regular light plug

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Katg22, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katg22

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Hello. I am a newbie to anything lights related. I want to be able to connect a regular hanging lantern to my Christmas lights so that it can be on the same plug / light switch as them, however, the plug doesn't fit in the end of the Christmas lights plug. any way to fix this / macgyver it so that it works?

thanks!

2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Welcome to AAC!
    A picture of the plugs would be helpful.

3. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    The reason it doesn't fit may be that the voltage and current ratings of the lantern are totally different from those of the Christmas lights. You need to verify the ratings before macgyvering anything or you could let the magic smoke out of something.

4. Katg22

Oct 3, 2016

5. Katg22

Oct 3, 2016
    Ok. Yeah I'll do that. Glad I asked on here. I told you I was a total newbie / amateur

6. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Can't tell if the two slots on the receptacle picture are the same size. The prongs in the other picture look polarized and the slots on the receptacle don't appear to be.

It's generally not a good idea to modify/jury rig 2 prong polarized plugs because they're used to prevent shock/electrocution hazard.

7. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I just take a dremel or bench grinder and shave the oversized prongs down on polarized plugs like that so they work either direction in situations like this.

8. Katg22

Oct 3, 2016
    thanks for all the replies guys! I think I will just use an extension cord to plug it into the other plug connected to the switch so that there are no fire hazards haha!

Aleph(0) likes this.
  9. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Katg22 then I say do yourself and your fire insurance premiums a favor and just use separate plug cuz modifying line connectors is iffy even for ppl experienced with electrical equipment:cool:

10. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Sounds like a good move:)!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I see NP socket, polarized plug.
    I think it's against the rules here to advise you to defeat this system.

Aleph(0) likes this.
  12. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Tcmtech I sure hope you're receiving counseling for that nasty case of suicidal mania:p!

13. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    My only mania is against nanny state regulations and overbearing safety designs. :mad:

I hate having to deal with stuff that's been made so safe its somewhere between difficult to use to being out rightly friggin' useless in its as made design.:mad:

Sensacell likes this.
  14. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    The polarized plug insures the lamp "shell" of socket is neutral.
    If all is as it should be.
    Trivial, maybe, yet real possibility of shock.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a bunch of 0.4 watt LED night lights with polarized plugs.:confused:
    Fully self contained, about the size of a walnut.
    I have to grind one leg so I can fit two in a dual receptical, one pointing up and one pointing down.:mad:

I hate having to deal with stuff that's been made so safe its somewhere between difficult to use to being out rightly friggin' useless in its as made design.:mad:

16. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    On a plastic lamp body? Whats conductive?

#12 likes this.
  17. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    It's also not very smart. It looks like the TS has resolved his problem. Freedom stands against electrical safety and the like belong in OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.