Finding a 15 ohm 50W wirewound resistor

ddaytona1

Joined Nov 3, 2008
I'm looking for a 15ohm 50W wirewound resistor. Maybe even two 30ohm 25W in parallel? I've not had success in searching DigiKey or even the local radio shack. Local radio shack has 50ohm, 10 ohm, 1 ohm, 100ohm all at 10W. They have an 8ohm at 20W.

I did find one internet site but the cost was $30+shipping.

Any recommendations to where I can get ahold of this ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I'm looking for a 15ohm 50W wirewound resistor. Maybe even two 30ohm 25W in parallel? I've not had success in searching DigiKey or even the local radio shack. Local radio shack has 50ohm, 10 ohm, 1 ohm, 100ohm all at 10W. They have an 8ohm at 20W.

I did find one internet site but the cost was $30+shipping.

Any recommendations to where I can get ahold of this ?
Perhaps you may combine 6 10Ω resistors or order from another source like www.digikey.com

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Found it in the Ohmite section in the Digi catalog (paper is easier to search) - part #850F15RE @ $6.43. 15 ohms & 50 watts.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Yeah, mouser.com is great. I highly recommend ordering their gigantic papr catalog, and also the Allied Electronics catalog.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I wasnt sure how the wattage added up in series. So it's a summation across the resistors in series.
Only true if they are of the same resistance value and wattage value.

A 10Ω 10W and a 10Ω 1W resistor in series will give 20Ω, but only 2W.

A 10Ω 10W and a 15Ω 10W resistor in series will give 25Ω, but only rated at 16.67W total instead of 20W.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, mouser.com is great. I highly recommend ordering their gigantic papr catalog, and also the Allied Electronics catalog.
I use their online database system quite a bit but sometimes only to get close to a page # in the actual print catalog.

One thing many don't realize - there are about 30% more components available (and usually in stock) that appear on the website but not in the paper catalog, likewise the website shows if something is in stock or short supply where the paper catalog won't.

If I'm designing something that I may want to build more of later I tend to lean heavily towards a part that they keep a decent stock of, a good sign they're going to keep them available on a regular basis. If you find something they only have 3 of and no indication that they have any on order it may never be restocked once they're sold out.

Over the years I've found you really do need to have both. Say for instance you're wanting a chassis box - using the website "drill down" system there might be 100 choices that are only a few hundredths of an inch in difference so if you can choose a style(s) you want then go to that paper page and it's far easier to choose.

Another plus of the website system is that once you've narrowed a part down you can click the little ^ arrow above the price column and see the lower cost parts first, sometimes a perfectly acceptable part that's a lot cheaper may not appear until page 12.

I also love the "Project Manager" feature, I just keep adding/subtracting/changing that as I go along until I've got the list right, I may even have more than one list going at the same time for the sae project.

Then there's the times I goof. I must have been in a hurry on this RF Preamp design as in reviewing the circuit gainst the box of parts I see I missed out on 4 small inductors. They're really not necessary in the circuit, just a little overkill on the output of the control line voltages. I may leave them out; I may replace them with 10K resistors, I might wrap about 10 turns of magnet wire around a rsistor body or I might go to Rdio Shack and pick up some of their cheap tiny toroids. Truth is if I'd get off my tail I've probably got a handful of something close enough sitting somewhere around the house, guess I'll go ahead and etch/drill the holes for them and decide later.