Final Shuttle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by magnet18, Jul 20, 2011.

1. magnet18

Thread Starter Senior Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Final shuttle lands tomorrow.
    Then we have to send our astronauts up in capsules (like back in the 60's) with the Russians at $53 million per person (which will rise to $63 million by 2014).
    Then NASA is laying off 9000 people.
    Sounds great for the economy, hope it was worth the spending cuts, because they sure seem to be helping.

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Putting all those engineers out of work will help the economy
    How do you figure that,what Is going to happen to all the families.
    How about the government workers that tell you in advance you
    will wait today because of cut backs and take there sweet time
    in doing the service you went in for,and the preceive power they
    have over you.If you have a government job plea your case.
    If you are a members of the public and have an opinion lets hear It.
    Now thats being fair,for me I don't like to be in a line wait for an hour to
    be told,I needed to be in the other line,and when It is my turn,I don't
    have all the paper work I needed,come back tomorrow.

3. mbxs3

Oct 14, 2009
    I drove down to watch Atlantis take off. It was quite the site. Too bad it is ending.

4. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    Ya, it will be expensive for us to send up our astronauts also.

5. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    @looswire, I was being sarcastic.

@TBayBoy, How did/does/will Canada get theirs up?
    (I didn't know Canada had a space program...)

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    It's well worth it. We need to scrap the space program so we can afford to do more research like this.

7. mbxs3

Oct 14, 2009
    Don't open at work!

8. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    We've been using the shuttle but now have to blast them through the soviet program.

[​IMG]

I guess the space program started in 1959 with roughly 25 Canadian engineers joined the North American Space Agency to design gemini, murcury, apollo, and shuttles with other countries.

throughout the 60's and 70's the Anik, Allouette, Isis, Nimik, ant MSAT series of satalites were let loose on the heavins to study and provide communications.

Hermes (a joint venture) was the forerunner of the current direct TV system.

Throughout the 80's, 90's and 00's scarecely a year passed without either a canadian satalite, or astronaut slipping the surly bonds of earth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

9. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Why not? It's completely legit, government funded. If its ok for the government to open at work, then it should be ok for you to open at work.

The only conflict of interest would be you toodling around in forums when you should be slaving away (to fund more disgusting projects, that is).

10. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    Fox News... now there's an oxymoron :)

11. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    @TBayBoy: Amazing! I had no idea! I think subconsciously (or consciously, by the powers that be) we (America) censor Canada's involvement in anything important. I don't condone it, but unfortunately I am a part of it (by being an American). We are not taught in history class that Canada came in, kicked our asses, and burned down our white house at one point. Apparently that wasn't noteworthy enough to make the history books. I learned that when I was in Canada. Canada has a lot of accomplishments that they aren't credited for.

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Fair parts of the shuttle were built in Canada. The robotic arm comes to mind.

13. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    HEY! who you callin a oxymoron?!

Don't remember what movie that was from. Joe Dirt I think...

14. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    @strandor

It happens, I bet no one thinks that when their politicians talk about reducing America's dependency on foreign oil, they are talking about Canada. :)

15. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    I was taught that, as I remember, we kicked them back out.
    Canada has had a lot of accomplishments, but I don't think that being the driving force behind winning any wars was ever one of them though I could be wrong.
    Also, they were riding our shuttles, so we're better. Anyone can build an arm.

'MERICA!!

(half of this was written in a semi-sarcastic tone attempting to imitate the average american redneck)

(also, fox news is the only station that isn't run by a bunch of liberals that like twisting everything)
    but lets not get into politics.
    I don't want this closed.

16. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Canada has deployed troops into just about every place out troops have (you won't see that in the news). I really wanted to say "ALL of the places our troops have", but I don't want to spend the time researching all of that.

17. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    Canada as an entity, didn't exist in 1812, that party was between you and the British.

As for Canada and wars, well General Pershing, General Eisenhower, and General MacArthur would differ with your assessment.

:)

18. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Well, it was the british loyalists who burnt the white house that went on to establish canada (correct me again if I'm wrong; my history is rusty and obviously full of holes). And since canada is still technically loyal to the crown; if we were to go to war with Canada, we would technically be going to war with Britain, I guess (again, correct me if I'm wrong; this is a learning experience for me).

19. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    The best recent estimates are that between 33,000 and 55,000 men from British North America (BNA) served in the Union army, and a few hundred in the Confederate army. Many of these men already lived in the United States; they were joined by volunteers signed up in Canada by Union recruiters.[6]
    Canada refused to return 15,000 American deserters and draft dodgers.[7]
    Canadian born Edward P. Doherty was a Union Army officer who formed and led the detachment of Union soldiers that captured and killed John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of Lincoln, in a Virginia barn on April 26, 1865, twelve days after Lincoln was fatally shot. Canadian born Sarah Emma Edmonds was a noted Union spy.
    At least 29 Canadian-born men were awarded the Medal of Honor

20. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    You would face all United Nations countries, but why would you go to war with Canada :)